Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A time for Jin?

4 posters

Go down

A time for Jin? Empty A time for Jin?

Post  David D Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:38 pm

I was wondering if there is a better time of year to work on jin or if it doesn't make a difference. I have a spruce which had a bad winter and it does not appear one side is going to recover. Can I do it now, should I wait, should I pour myself a gin?
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

A time for Jin? Empty Re: A time for Jin?

Post  Orion Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Now is fine for jin.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:18 am

i am happy to work on jin anytime on the year but find the results better on wood that had dried out a little so on a living branch i tend to remove the bark and do a basic shaping in one sitting, then wait a few weeks or even a month or two while the moisture dries out - then the wood refines better and cleaner when you add the final details - as your tree has a probable dead section it will refine well straight away i expect
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:18 pm

I'd do it sooner, rather than later. The more that side dries out with bark attached, the more difficult it will be to remove the bark without damaging the tree itself.

With this heat (and humidity in the American Midwest and Eastern seaboard, we all may be doing more jin. I've already lost a small cotoneaster that I liked -- a lot -- and have several maples that are really stressing, even in full shade and with a fan (outside!) going at all times of day. (Since trees don't sweat, I'm not sure the fan does any real good for the trees. It makes ME feel better, though.)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:11 pm

How long do you wait to add lime sulpher? I have seen it vary from one book to another and I don't have access to a club to ask others, (this forum is a life/tree saver) thanks for you input.
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:18 pm

The deadwood should be dry. If you remove bark and carve living tissue, that probably would be a day or two. If the area you are jinning is already dead, you probably can apply almost immediately that the carving is done.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down