Maple book

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Maple book

Post  RichLewis on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Hello all

I've been accumulating a lot of acers recently..Can anyone recommend a really good book on them? I was impressed by the bonsai today pines book, unfortunately I don't think they have a maples edition.

Ideally, I would want something a bit in-depth, that covers leaf reduction techniques, grafting etc

Cheers

Last edited by RichLewis on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: Maple book

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:00 pm

There's always "Bonsai With Japanese Maples" by Peter Adams. Timber Press, 2006.

However, since he's no longer a "young" bonsaiest, some may have other recommendations.

I have it and find it useful.

Of course, Vertrees' original book on Japanese Maples, now out in the 4th (at least) edition. Also Timber Press, I think. Very expensive.

He has a new book on Japanese maples, described here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/991526.Timber_Press_Pocket_Guide_to_Japanese_Maples

It probably is a LOT cheaper.

To my knowledge, neither of Vertrees' books deal with bonsai, except, perhaps, in passing.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin on Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:05 pm

I concur with Jim on Peter Adams,"Bonsai With Japanese Maples", although, I think it would have been better titled, 'Bonsai With Maples', as he does touch on other maples. The info is presented simply with good diagrams and though he may not be 'nuevo bonsai' the proof is in the pudding, his trees are great.

RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom McCue on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:19 am

Get Boons (he's a club member) new DVD on Maples. It takes you through the entire progression. It just came out not long ago I thought it was excellent. Peter Adams book is good too.

Tom McCue

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Cheers gentlemen, have ordered Peter Adam's book. Looking forward to reading it!

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:26 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum