My Little Oasis in the Concrete Jungle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  MikeG on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:11 am

Hello all.

Thought I'd share a few pics of my tiny little balcony garden. I'm on the 17th floor, facing due east and the balcony is only 5 x 15 feet. I just finished the wooden bench and stand. Found out I'm no carpenter but I'm kinda proud of them. They really open up this limited space. As far as the bonsai material goes, please keep in mind that I've only been into bonsai for a year and nothing is even close to 'finished'.

Thank you, Mike

MikeG

Back to top Go down

Re: My Little Oasis in the Concrete Jungle

Post  Storm on Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:44 am

Hey.
Looks nice. Wink Just be aware of winds! I think I'd might tie the pots to the stands, so they wouldn't fall out..

Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski on Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:56 pm

That's dedication.
Which way is south facing?

Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:08 pm

+1 for tying the pots down or raising the back boards a little more - some of the larger ones are very close to the edge - it would be terrible to lose some over the edge, both for you and the person it may land on !!!

What a fantastic use of the balcony though - a place to be inspired to work on your trees and enjoy them, very nice

Marcus

marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Storm and Marcus, the trees are almost always tied down tightly with bungee cords. I only take them off for display purposes and watering. I need to water each tree thoroughly over a bucket so the run off doesn't disturb my neighbours below.
Rob, the last pic is facing south. Right now, during the longest days of the year, the trees get 7 hours of sun per day. The rest of the growing season its generally 5 hours per day. I'd like to be able to give some species more but it's not an option right now. When we finally buy a house, the main selling point for me will be the layout of the backyard.

Thanks,
Mike

MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:15 pm

Wow! I'm impressed. Who'da thunk it in the middle of and high up in the city.

(I also cannot imagine living where there are that many people crammed in around me!)

It takes dedication to do such nice trees in that environment. Congrats.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

mylittle oasis in the concreat jungle

Post  moyogijohn on Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:36 am

You have a very nice set up a long way up!! your trees are really good and look well taken care of.. what about winter,,,that must be very hard to manage!! good job take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:46 am

Very nice view...with the trees in the foreground.

I like the first tree.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks for the nice replies everyone.

Jim, I'm originally from a very rural area. My garden is my way of surrounding myself with nature, like the way I grew up.

John, winters are not fun but I'd really rather not think about it right now Very Happy

Jun, the first tree is a 40+ year old japanese larch imported from Japan about a decade ago. I purchased it this year from one of the few bonsai nurseries around Toronto. The rest were all acquired as pre-bonsai stock or regular nursery material.

Thanks, Mike.

MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:05 am

Poetry in the sky of Toronto Wink

When it's foggy, it must feel like sailing on a flying island Cool

It looks a very peaceful place, I love it.

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Ka Pabling on Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:32 am

Hi Mike,

Wow! what a dedication! You have just proven that for one who loves bonsai, nothing is impossible.

Best wishes
ka pabling

Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:05 pm

I can feel your pain. But you have more room than me. Our balcony is only 3' x 11' not nearly as high as you but that poses another problem, i have to take all my trees down at night just to be safe. Here are a few pics.

Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG on Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:58 am

AlainK, Ka Pabling thank you so much. "Poetry in the sky of Toronto" I really like that.

Neil. I like your trees. Luckily bonsai is a practice that can fit into small spaces. I find having limited space keeps me in control also. If I had more space I'd probably have 100 mediocre trees by now. This way I can hone my skills on a smaller collection and have healthier, better quality trees because of it.

Thanks, Mike.

MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:38 am

mgallex wrote:AlainK, Ka Pabling thank you so much. "Poetry in the sky of Toronto" I really like that.

Neil. I like your trees. Luckily bonsai is a practice that can fit into small spaces. I find having limited space keeps me in control also. If I had more space I'd probably have 100 mediocre trees by now. This way I can hone my skills on a smaller collection and have healthier, better quality trees because of it.

Thanks, Mike.

Thank you. You have some very nice bonsai as well, and i agree with the 100 mediocre bonsai thing as well. Many times i have seen sad little trees that i want to take home and take care of. But on the other hand i have missed out on some really nice large material from friends landscaping and such. Oh well i think my wife and i will be in a house next year (fingers crossed).

Good luck to you and enjoy the summer.

Neil

Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:24 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum