Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I would like some help with Ilex Crenatas?

+7
MIKEB
tim stubbs
bonsaisr
John Quinn
fiona
JimLewis
Adrius
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I would like some help with Ilex Crenatas? - Page 2 Empty something

Post  pucca Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Hello Smile

I have just had the same problem with my ilex crenata: big part of leaves got brown and fell down. Maybe my experience could help Smile

I think the problem was BLACK ROOT ROT.

I've re-potted my bonsai twice: first time I hadn't know what black or dark brown roots mean, why clay was everywhere... (I'm not very good at re-potting). So I'd cut some of dark roots and put it in the same pot. Leaves were still falling down.

Then I found this link: pubs.ext.vt.edu/450/450-606/450-606 and some other articles like this. I realized my ilex was ill.
In a big center of flowers and other stuff one smart woman told me: sellers don't think about how long their production will be alive, they need only money, so they use peat and clay instead of normal soil. This causes black root rot.

When re-potting again, I cut almost all bad roots, washed the good ones with fungicide (very important to kill troublemakers), used some root stimulant and bought a new pot. I've also cut dead branches and leaves with the intention of faster recovering.

Several days passed and I see new leaves Smile

I hope this information will help and I'm sorry for my english.. Rolling Eyes

pucca

Back to top Go down

I would like some help with Ilex Crenatas? - Page 2 Empty Re: I would like some help with Ilex Crenatas?

Post  Adrius Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:46 pm

I might proceed with what you just wrote as my Ilex hasn’t changed except the leaves turned yellow. I will post some pictures in next following days and make my decision shortly after, thanks for some good information!
Adrius
Adrius

Back to top Go down

I would like some help with Ilex Crenatas? - Page 2 Empty Ilex

Post  Norma Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Adrius,

Your holly is in very poor soil...if it were my tree I would repot NOW, in bonsai soil which is free draining. The old soil needs to be completely removed , which is a task that is not easy for a beginner in bonsai. There must be some bonsai club or nursery near London for some expert help.

The other problem I see is direct sun (window and outside) , my ilex thrives in shade which is dappled much like my boxwoods and is only inside when it is freezing weather and in a cool basement room for dormancy.

All of this may seem confusing ....please try to find a local bonsai grower for help!

Good luck and don't give up....we all lost trees when we were starting bonsai!

Best regards,
Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

I would like some help with Ilex Crenatas? - Page 2 Empty Re: I would like some help with Ilex Crenatas?

Post  jonkatzmail Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:29 am

Well, I have two Ilex crenata and keep them outside next to some big holly bushes that have big prickly leaves, and they are two of my favorites because I haven't managed to kill them! When I look at your plant's trunk it looks all shrivelled and I wonder about it being all dried out, but I don't have my plants to look at to compare them to yours so I'm not sure. I did like how bushy yours looked before but also that it needed a trimming before. I really massacred one of mine but it resprouted so it should be okay. If yours is still alive then I bet it will be okay, books say they can be kept indoors but I wonder if they mean in a greenhouse or something. I will find out this winter if anything I have can make it thru alive....

jonkatzmail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2