Anything about Blue Princess Holly?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anything about Blue Princess Holly?

Post  jonkatzmail on Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:55 am

It is now officially the End of Season at Walmart so they reduced their $5 bushes to $2.50, and their $15 bushes to $8. They are not exactly impressive to look at, pretty small.... But I bought two $2.50 Blue Princess Holly bushes, and two $2.50 Sea Green Juniper bushes. Is there anything I need to know about turning those Holly bushes into bonsai? I am so eager that I look like this inside bounce even if I only look like this on the outside Neutral

jonkatzmail

Back to top Go down

Blue Princess Holly

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:55 am

'Sea Green' Juniper is a cultivar of Juniperus chinensis, a very popular bonsai species. Google on Juniperus chinensis bonsai, here and elsewhere, & you will get plenty of information. However, if they are small plants, you might do well to grow them in the ground for a few years first.
'Blue Princess' is a cultivar of Ilex xmeserveae, a group of hybrids developed so that traditional English-type hollies can be grown farther north. I have never seen it used for bonsai, except on Amazon.com. Unless someone tells you different, I suggest you put them in your foundation planting, and get a 'Blue Prince' so you will have berries.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Re: Anything about Blue Princess Holly?

Post  jonkatzmail on Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Oh. cyclops Are you saying I shouldn't use the Blue Princess Holly? I think hollies are ugly plants but maybe it could be used. If I would be wasting my time then that would be good to know now. bounce

jonkatzmail

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:07 pm

I think that's what she's saying.

There are hollies that make nice bonsai, but none of them are the traditional, bristle-leaved Christmas hollies.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  jonkatzmail on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:22 pm

OH! Shocked I'm glad I found out right away! The little plants I have look sorta like masses of sticks with a some leaves at the ends. I didn't know what I was going to try to do with them to make them look better. At least I only spent $5 for both. cheers

jonkatzmail

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:57 am

I think what she was saying is to get a Blue Prince as you need a male and a female for berries to form.

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:39 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum