Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nanking Cherry

4 posters

Go down

Nanking Cherry Empty Nanking Cherry

Post  bonsaisr Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Here is another species, Prunus tomentosa, that has not been mentioned in the forum. I bought this one yesterday at the Rochester auction. It is 15 years from seed.

Nanking Cherry Nankin10

Obviously a "fixer-upper" (term applied to an inexpensive house or car that needs work). The long drink of water on the right is intended for a thread graft, presumably on the next bend down. I can't find much about it on the Internet, except that it is said to be short-lived (meaning what?) and requires cross-pollination to fruit. Does this mean I have to have another Nanking cherry, or will another Prunus species do?
My main question is, does it bud back readily? Those long arms and the top need to be hacked back, but how far? I'm assuming I can go ahead with the thread graft. It may not be done by this fall, but the species is hardy to Zone 2 and will be wintered in a protected location. I have carried thread grafts over the winter before.
The bark on the lower trunk is really intriguing.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Nanking Cherry Empty Re: Nanking Cherry

Post  Randy_Davis Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 pm

bonsaisr wrote:I can't find much about it on the Internet, except that it is said to be short-lived (meaning what?) and requires cross-pollination to fruit. Does this mean I have to have another Nanking cherry, or will another Prunus species do? My main question is, does it bud back readily? Iris

Iris,

Prunus tomentosa is a multi-trunked shrub type of cherry from Northern china with lovely white spring flowers. It like many other "short lived" things lives greater than 30 years and probably longer if well cared for in a container up to as much as 50 years. As far as pollination any other cherry will do for it. If you have native black cherry in the area you should have no problem with it setting fruit which are the size of a marble, bright red, and quite tasty if you can beat the birds to them. As with any other prunus it buds back on old wood quite well so have at it! Be aware that it gets all of the other pests and diseases of the prunus family.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks.
I forgot to show size. The tree is 21 inches, 53 cm tall. Pot is 10 inches, 25.4 cm.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:25 am

bonsaisr wrote:Thanks.
I forgot to show size. The tree is 21 inches, 53 cm tall. Pot is 10 inches, 25.4 cm.
Iris

Hi Iris

Those measurements bowled me, when next you post an update please include something for scale. My first thought was it look like a young C. Elm....

Cheers
Gerhard

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Sorry. Embarassed I'll do better next time.
Apparently Nanking cherry is well-known as a bonsai subject in the Orient, but not in this country. You see very few Prunus at our bonsai shows, since the climate in most of North America is unsuitable. Crabapples are much more popular.

Here is a classic Japanese Nanking cherry bonsai. I hope this works.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f46/13/96/52/01/classi10.jpg

Here is Nanking cherry growing in somebody's yard. I think it is about a meter tall.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f46/13/96/52/01/nankin11.jpg

Here is Nanking cherry in the ground, in bloom.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f46/13/96/52/01/nankin12.jpg

Sorry, I have no control over the size & quality of the pictures.
I butchered my fixer-upper, & will post a picture when I think it is recovering.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:13 am

Hi Iris

No worries, the measurements were a big surprise - made me view the tree differently.

Apparently Nanking cherry is well-known as a bonsai subject in the Orient, but not in this country.

Funny, when I was just starting Nanking cherry was extensively mentioned in my first (not very good) bonsai book, I read a lot about it on the internet. I instantly remembered the name, but you are right, I haven't seen it mentioned much recently.

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Nanking Cherry Empty nanking cherry

Post  moyogijohn Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:06 pm

Mrs Iris,,I REALLY like this one..i think you will injoy this tree.. i thought about a cherry but all i can find is stock from lowes that would have to be chopped down and have no branches!!!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:15 am

There are several species of Prunus that are native to or naturalized in West Virginia. Get a field guide and see if you can collect any. Rather than Lowe's, find a fruit nursery and see if they have young trees available (not grafted!). The Soil & Water Conservation Service sells saplings in the spring for reforestation. Of course the young trees, with the advantage of low branches, will need to be grown in the ground for several years, but you can wire the trunks & shape them exactly as you want.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:46 am

Here is an update on my fixer-upper. Here is the tree with the branches shortened & the thread graft starting to leaf out. Some of the branches are way too thick. I hope I can balance the growth by shortening them. I see no inclination to bud back on the trunk.

Nanking Cherry Nankin13

Here is a side view. I don't know why they potted it at such an angle, but it looks as though the nebari may present problems. That high root should go if possible.

Nanking Cherry Side_v10

Here are two close-up views of the thread graft. You can get more information on thread grafting from the Internet or Colin Lewis' books, where I learned it. I scraped the bark a little to join the cambium layers. I always seal the openings with cut paste and apply a figure-8 bandage of florist's tape. The donor branch can be cut when the branch emerging from the trunk is thicker than the branch going in. I think this one will be fast.

Nanking Cherry Thread10

Nanking Cherry Thread11

Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down