Disinfecting tools

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Disinfecting tools

Post  AK_Panama on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Hello,

What are the most effective methods of disinfecting tools to avoid spreading diseases from one plant to another? I´ve heard a couple but would like to hear your opinions:

• Lysol
  • Alcohol
  • Lighter (fire)
  • Water with vinegar

AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Re: Disinfecting tools

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:51 pm

AK_Panama wrote:Hello,

What are the most effective methods of disinfecting tools to avoid spreading diseases from one plant to another? I´ve heard a couple but would like to hear your opinions:

• Lysol
  • Alcohol
  • Lighter (fire)
  • Water with vinegar

I would not use fire because it might damage the temper of the tool as well as the finish. I am not sure vinegar would be very effective. That leaves Lysol and Alcohol. Given that generic Alcohol is a lot cheaper than Lysol, I would use Alcohol, if I used anything. I have really never seen anyone disinfect their tools. However, if I did use Alcohol,be sure that you clean and oil your tools to prevent rusting caused by the Alcohol.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Hello.

For disinfecting my tools i use alcohol, but i really would like to hear from the experts of it is good enough.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Rubbing alcohol works just fine. For disinfecting my greenhouse surfaces each fall, prior to placing trees inside, I use Physan 20.

John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Chlorox right out of the bottle will also disinfect. Be sure to wipe and oil your tools immediately afterward.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:04 am

According to a local USDA plant pathologist, the only non commercial solution that kills every pathogen is a 50/50 mix of Lysol CONCONTRATE and H20.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:52 pm

If I recall rightly, our Dr. Nina, who works with plant pathogens, recommended either alcohol or Chlorox.

That's "if."

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:30 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum