Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bald Cypress

3 posters

Go down

Bald Cypress  Empty Bald Cypress

Post  Ebbtide Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a Bald Cypress bonsai from a nursery here in MD, USA ( Zone 7). I asked them specific questions on how to care for this plant, especially during the winter. I was told to leave it outside. However, I forgot to ask them if I can leave it immersed in my 10x18 pond for the winter. The tree has a 10.5 inch circumference at the base and approx 4.5 inches in diameter. It is currently in a 16 inch 6 inches deep round yixing pot. The tree is growing fast since I purchased it a month ago. I need some expert advise on how to prepare this plant for the winter season. My pond freezes approx 1-3 inches thick on the average. Right now, the whole pot is submerged 1-2 inches below the waterline.

I Just joined the bonsai wagon and don't have any formal training other than reading bonsai books and internet. Thanks.
Ebbtide
Ebbtide

Back to top Go down

Bald Cypress  Empty Re: Bald Cypress

Post  jgeanangel Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:19 am

Welcome Ebbtide!

I have some experience with BC but not in your climate. I usually keep one or two newly collected trees in the bog of my garden pond. I put them in mid-summer and take them out in early spring. The big difference however, lies in the fact that my pond rarely if ever gets any ice...let alone 1-3 inches. That said we did have a little ice this past winter and the one tree that was in the bog didn't miss a beat...but it was only a 1 or 2 day thing and just the very surface of the water.

BC are tough but I still think I would err on the side of caution by removing the tree from the pond and mulching it into a nice protected flower bed for the winter.

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:36 pm

jgeanangel wrote:Welcome Ebbtide!

I have some experience with BC but not in your climate. I usually keep one or two newly collected trees in the bog of my garden pond. I put them in mid-summer and take them out in early spring. The big difference however, lies in the fact that my pond rarely if ever gets any ice...let alone 1-3 inches. That said we did have a little ice this past winter and the one tree that was in the bog didn't miss a beat...but it was only a 1 or 2 day thing and just the very surface of the water.

BC are tough but I still think I would err on the side of caution by removing the tree from the pond and mulching it into a nice protected flower bed for the winter.

John

I am even further south than "jgeanangel" and I leave my BC on the bench all year, but I think I would give it more protection in winter in your location. I reread your post and it is not clear if the tree is in a bonsai pot or not, if the nursery was a "bonsai" nursery or a "nursery" selling bonsai. A BC might do fine in the ground in a wet area in winter in Maryland but a pot is a different thing.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebbtide Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:39 pm

John

Thanks John for the info. The winters here can be unpredictable. It can be mild or severe but one thing is sure. Ice forms quickly on the pond once the temperature stays below freezing for a couple of days even with moving water from the falls. I will probably take it out and cover it with mulch like you said. I have to admit I like this tree a lot already since it branches so fast. I saw your BC on your youtube video and I am a fan. I wished I have a tree that big- nice. This one I got is grown from a seedling about 11 years ago I was told. Philip

Last edited by Ebbtide on Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ebbtide
Ebbtide

Back to top Go down

Post  Ebbtide Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

John

I am even further south than "jgeanangel" and I leave my BC on the bench all year, but I think I would give it more protection in winter in your location. I reread your post and it is not clear if the tree is in a bonsai pot or not, if the nursery was a "bonsai" nursery or a "nursery" selling bonsai. A BC might do fine in the ground in a wet area in winter in Maryland but a pot is a different thing.

Hi, Thanks for the info. I purchased the tree from a bonsai nursery. I was told this has been trained for about 11 years from a seedling. After I bought it, I immediately repotted it in a bigger 16 X 6 inch round clay bonsai pot. Since a month ago, the growth has been vigorous. I'm looking forward to style it next year. Philip
Ebbtide
Ebbtide

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down