I Need to Change my Trousers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I Need to Change my Trousers

Post  Stone Monkey on Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Being that the Noelanders trophy is not that far away, well Jan 2012 to be precise, I thought I would try and get ahead of my game for a change and make some BIG pots. Throwing BIGGIES, as I call them can be a somewhat messy, hence the "changing my trousers" statement, even strength testing affair. Rather than centering the clay with your hands it pretty much takes a fair bit of body weight to get the clay to conform to what you wish it to do. Plus it is easier on your arms to use your body weight rather than just your arms. Here is a work in progress taster approx 14" - 20" across with hopefully bigger ones to follow. Hmmm I wonder if they will fit in the new kiln I am using...

Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Re: I Need to Change my Trousers

Post  Jim Doiron on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Awesome pot Stone Monkey. I am not a potter but have foolishly tried "throwing biggies" at my wife's wheel with um, well, no results. Congrats, can't wait to see it post bisque/glaze.

Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 pm

Cheers Jim

I am throwing more and more each day, will post as and when they are fired. Thanks for your kind comments and support

All the best

Andy

Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  DWThomas on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Cool stuff! (I need to check in more.)

An interesting approach -- the last demo we had at the community college was a guy, Rob Sutherland, who makes large bowl shaped containers by essentially throwing them upside down. He centers a heap of clay, then opens up all the way down to the bat and works it out to the rim. He then pulls up and inward which nicely counteracts the centrifugal force; eventually creating a closed dome. One piece was on a 30 inch bat. Of course, the fact that he's built like a husky construction worker doesn't hurt!

A step by step example starts about halfway down this gallery.
One definitely needs assistance when turning over a 60+ pound assembly!

Anyway, keep up the good work.

DaveT

DWThomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Great looking pot Andy. Much more like the size I prefer. I love that particular shape. ThumbsUp

Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryWood on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Andy, good looking work. If you haven't fired large pots before, there can be a potential small learning curve. Learned the had way Smile If the rim cools too fast there can be cracks. I make sure that the shelf above them are fairly close to the rim. this works to slow heat loss on the rim. Keep up the good work.
Wood

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  kitoi on Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:44 am

Andy,
How much clay was used in creating this?

Throwing big takes some fortitude. For me centering is always a challenge as I have treadle type wheel. What I've been doing lately is centering smaller amounts to till I get the desired weight. For example I take 25lb and cut in half, center one portion then the next.

kitoi

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:41 am

Dave T

Thanks for the link, what Rob throws in those pictures are INSANE Twisted Evil but fantastic to watch and a few tips there for me I think

Mike

I know your partial to Big un Wink thanks for the kind comments

Gary

Thanks for the tip, its something I do when I fire the biggies, the shelf above each pot is very close indeed to help prevent this

Kitoi

About 10kg of clay all in all. Like you I centre a portion then add more and re-centre, it is easy and less strenuous than doing it all in one go until I have the amount I want

Regards to you all and thanks for all your comments

Andy

Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  kitoi on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:10 am

Thanks Andy,
I made two large pots recently, 25 and 35lb. Now I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed hoping that the base doesn't crack.

kitoi

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:55 am

kitoi

Dry them as slow as possible, mine are going to take as long as it takes to get to the bone dry stage. Look forward to seeing yours when they are all fired and finished.

Regards

Andy

Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum