Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Library Catalog

2 posters

Go down

World Library Catalog Empty World Library Catalog

Post  JimLewis Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:34 pm

My son, who tends to be a curious as I am, found and purchased for me a set of books on Japanese art at a local estate sale. The books were first editions of the Kodansha Library of Japanese Art. One volume was missing -- #8 dealing with Ukiyoe Artist TORII KIYONAGA (1752-1815) several of whose prints I have.

In the course of finding where I might get a 195x first edition of this volume I stumbled upon World Cat -- http://www.worldcat.org/ -- which claims to search the databases of libraries everywhere to find which might have a reference (or other) book you woudl like to see. Sure enough they found several libraries (most of them in Universities) that had it.

Amazon had several later editions, which may have to do me.

Anyway, thought this might be useful to anyone who is doing serious research on something.

Note: The Kodansha Library of Japanese Art was a set of paperbacks, published in the early to mid 1950s. Each volume covered one artist -- mostly Ukiyoe artists (wood block print and painting). It seems to have been aimed at the western tourist -- of which there were few in Japan that soon after the War -- or maybe the American occupiers (uniformed and otherwise) -- of which there were a great many, my family and my wife Jackie's included.

I don't know yet when they ceased publishing the library, but it doesn't seemed to have expanded beyond prints and paintings on paper; no ceramics, bonsai, statuary (netsuke, etc.) For those interested here are pictures of all the volumes: http://www.shibuiswords.com/library8.htm
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

World Library Catalog Empty Re: World Library Catalog

Post  JohnT Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:12 am

Hi Jim, I've found that "bookfinder.com" is a good source for hard to find books.

Cheers from a wet Sydney

John T

JohnT

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Thanks. I use that and Abe books.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content