Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fertilizer advise

4 posters

Go down

Fertilizer advise  Empty Fertilizer advise

Post  Mikey P Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi IBC. I have a curious question about feeding my trees. I feed them with Miracle-grow every watering and they all seem to be realy healthy and thriving. However i have read in articles that other artists also use weekly feeds with bone meal and fish meal. Is this advisable and could any one give me any information on the matter? I would also like some suggestions on which products/brands to buy and if some one could tell me there weekly schedule on feeding there trees.
Thanks for any information you can give me.
Mikey Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Mikey P on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikey P
Mikey P

Back to top Go down

Fertilizer advise  Empty Fertilizer Advice (sic)

Post  bonsaisr Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:06 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Exclamation Exclamation
Miracle-Gro (sic) is fine as an all-purpose fertilizer for containerized plants. You may need to make some adjustments for acid-loving plants, flowering plants, or needle conifers.
The addition of organic products such as bonemeal & fishmeal will attract dogs, cats, wildlife, & bugs.
I generally rotate among several products. I use fish emulsion about once a month. The way it is formulated nowadays seems less likely to attract yellowjackets.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Fertilizer advise  Empty Re: Fertilizer advise

Post  Mikey P Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Thank you very much Iris. You are always very helpful. Very Happy Very Happy
Mikey P
Mikey P

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:02 pm

Don't make fertilizing trees too complicated. It's not.

Any more or less balanced fertilizer will keep your trees healthy. As iris says, you can make acid-loving plants (azalea, etc.) happier by using a more acid fertilizer, but it really is NOT necessary at every fertilization.

Most of us, I think, feed weekly or every two weks during he growing season and not every time we water. The idea of bonsai is not to get rich growth.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:57 pm

Mikey

For what it is worth, I too feed at every watering. The only difference being I rotate three organic liquid products (powdered if I can get it as it goes further). On the fourth week I only use rain-water; this they get a week off every four from feeding. I don't do this for every tree; all-be-it, similar though.

You must however use what works for you and trial and error has worked for me. I settled on three products for feeding this way. I do however supplement for azaleas etc. JWP's I do not feed on an acid base as over a lengthy period of time I have found too much acid with this species will lead to some minor yellowing of needles; not all, just some. Scots not though.

Nutrients are legion for good quality growth and generally I use trace element frit among other things. You will get many differing answers to your question for certain. I have not had any difficulties with too much growth, nor have I had over-sized leaves/needles etc with this method. I do have very healthy trees and accents though. Probably the biggest downside (in my situation) is a more regular re-potting regime.

I have also never experienced any root-burn whatsoever; even using this on semi-dry medium. On free drainers, the liquid fly's through the mix sucking air as it departs; it is clearly minimal what stays put for the roots to pull from; it has however been quite sufficient. I used to water first then feed immediately after; I think Will B does something like that; I have not had any problems by not watering with plain water first though.

All the best

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Most of us, I think, feed weekly or every two weeks during he growing season and not every time we water. The idea of bonsai is not to get rich growth.

Then I presume "most of us" have "finished bonsai"? There are plenty of people advocating feeding every watering, albeit not at full strength like me. I used to feed organically with cakes, seaweed extract and tomorite and once a week, sometimes fortnightly. Since feeding daily with miracle gro, the results for developing trees is astonishing. Try feeding with what you use at the strength you use now, on a daily basis. You won't regret it.
Another daily and strong feeder on another thread. You can't see the soil for feed. https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t4081-a-visit-to-jean-paul-polmans-studio-momiji

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey P Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks alot guys. Very much appreciated. I feed every watering, but not at full strength. And my trees are all in the development stage and will be for a a couple of years. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Mikey P
Mikey P

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down