The patience of Lingnan technique...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The patience of Lingnan technique...

Post  Robert Steven on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:47 am

When I got this Celtis chinensis in China 6 years ago, it was already been trained for more than 10 years by a Chinese bonsai artist in Lingnan technique; and now I am continuing the same technique.

The basic stump was from a large tree and the entire tapering trunk line movement we see now was trained step by step by cut and grow; same technique to all the branches...

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Re: The patience of Lingnan technique...

Post  Robert Steven on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:56 am

Here are the clip-and-grow....

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:03 am

Still long way to go...
More about the concept and technique of Lingnan will be in my 3rd book " The Five Schools of Chinese Penjing"....

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Robert Steven wrote:When I got this Celtis chinensis in China 6 years ago, it was already been trained for more than 10 years by a Chinese bonsai artist in Lingnan technique; and now I am continuing the same technique.

The basic stump was from a large tree and the entire tapering trunk line movement we see now was trained step by step by cut and grow; same technique to all the branches...

So, which part was created by you? Nice tree.

Carlos

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:05 pm

Great tree! I look forward to your new book! When will it be available?
Best,
Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi Robert.

This is a very nice tree. I am always looking at your blog and this is the first time I saw this tree. very huge nice tree. Lingnan technique is very challenging and will really test the patience of "hardcore" bonsaist...but will always achieve the best result.

Please, keep us updated with this tree.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Thanks Jun.

Carlos, the secondary branches are done by me....

Todd, not before next year..a hard work to get good pictures from China to represent the five schools...

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi again Robert.

How long would it take to "finish" such huge tree with this technique? With this size of trunk, I imagine it would take decades to "complete".

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:25 pm

No target..simply enjoy the process... Dance

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Robert Steven wrote:No target..simply enjoy the process... Dance

Ok. Then I will wait too for this tree...I'm sure IBC is still around after a couple of decades pale
Thanks!

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:45 pm

One more thing Robert...

Since I admire your trees and methods a lot, Is it advisable to do bonsai chores naked??? Evil or Very Mad Will it improve my techniques if I do the same?

regards,
jun

Smile Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Be sure Jun, this is the attitude which make bonsai lovers live very long...the expectation spirit....

For your last question...Depends..Jun..you should make sure you are working on the "female" tree...it will bear more flowers and fruits.. lol!

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Be sure Jun, this is the attitude which make bonsai lovers live very long...the expectation spirit....

For your last question...Depends..Jun..you should make sure you are working on the "female" tree...it will bear more flowers and fruits.. lol!

I'll take this (especially the last sentence) as a word of WISDOM from a bonsai master that I admire the most!!! Laughing

BTW, some of my fruiting trees are not bearing fruits...it's neither male nor female, something in between I guess. I'll try doing things the Robert's way next time,,,it might change my luck. Laughing

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy on Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:09 pm

This tree is amazing. I did not get a good idea of it's scale until the photo of you working on it. It reminds me of an elephant's foot, both in size and color, as well as texture. It is simply massive, and magnificent. Shocked

lordy

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:26 am

hello robert:

this is going to be a killer tree someday.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Qlander on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:58 am

Thanks for posting your tree Robert.
Like the others, I had no idea it was such a large tree. I thought it was only about 500-600mm tall. The size makes it even more awesome than I first thought.

Qlander

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:11 am

Hi Sam, yes, such materials only available in China.
BTW, we recently found lots of very unique material of Streblus asper, small sizes but all grow like grouping on rock. Also a new species, Vitex trifolia. Interested ?..send me an email then... thumbs up

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  cram on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:52 am

i am always a little stunned when i see the size of the trees you work in asia
a dream ...raaa
.... got big fingers and mame is really a patience killer for me

Razz

i d like also get the growth you have ....the progression time of the asian trees is impressive
and it will take even more time in europe to get the same results...
so i will follow this post with interest

maybe i have to live in asia drunken

cram

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks Sebastien. I dream of the species you guys working in your area as well....
When you can make good mame, you can make good big bonsai.... cheers

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  cram on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:11 am

i work on it with the help of my friends! Wink
[img][/img]

cram

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:46 am

Nice elm..Sebastien..

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  priya uthama on Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:33 am

Robert Steven wrote:Hi Sam, yes, such materials only available in China.
BTW, we recently found lots of very unique material of Streblus asper, small sizes but all grow like grouping on rock. Also a new species, Vitex trifolia. Interested ?..send me an email then... thumbs up

Hello Mr.Robert
I come to your workshop a few days ago in pluit. I see one of your material of strebulus asper is very unique thumbs up

priya uthama

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:30 am

robert, do you use any wire on this tree at all? or do you just keep clipping until you get a bud to angle the correct way and at that point you let that one grow in the direction you want for a while before prunning? I assume it would be impossible to pull off a windswept using the lignan?
thanks, and by the way just got your mission of transformation book yesterday. its great

bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:51 am

bucknbonsai wrote:robert, do you use any wire on this tree at all? or do you just keep clipping until you get a bud to angle the correct way and at that point you let that one grow in the direction you want for a while before prunning? I assume it would be impossible to pull off a windswept using the lignan?
thanks, and by the way just got your mission of transformation book yesterday. its great

Yes, I do use some wire, but it's only to direct the initial grow to get the angle with very loose winding, the rest is by cutting.
Lingnan technique doesn't mean without wiring, but it's on the ramification structure; so the best result of windswept bonsai is by Lingnan technique, and the line movement is by wiring.

Hope you enjoy the book. Best regards...

Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  attila on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:17 am

Robert Steven wrote:No target..simply enjoy the process... Dance

I agree with Robert many people thinking of finish "product " when involved with bonsai, there is a rush to finish like a race, they forget the joy of the journey and progress which takes place over decades or a lifetime. even once you think a tree is finished but how long for???? you need to maintain the structure you need to have sacrificing branches so on..and soon maybe you change your mind and going to restyle it and it begins again all over so there is no finished tree ever (even a dead tree can be reused e.g phoenix grafting) it is a 20th century and now the 21st century disease- instant gratification- get a cure....slow down

regards
Attila

attila

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:42 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum