Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vireya Rhododendron

+3
Glaucus
dorothy7774
Russell Coker
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Vireya Rhododendron - Page 2 Empty Re: Vireya Rhododendron

Post  Guest Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:37 am

Bruce,
I am drooling at the thought of them hanging out of giant tree ferns and thankyou for answering a question I had, the possibility & viablity of using either live or dead treefern stumps as a mount. Given your experience with them do you have any suggestions on species that might be fun to try for little pots?

If you don't mind another question, my garden contouring (level changes, beds, pathsetc) are recycled concrete & while there shouldn't be any lime leach it is something in the back of my mind, are Vireya as sensitive as other R.?

Jim,
They are that glorious messy entanglement only due to our need to categorize classify preserve & box everything. I get a headache just thinking about the reworking, leave that for the boffins, lots more fun to be had growing them.

Back to top Go down

Vireya Rhododendron - Page 2 Empty Vireya

Post  Bruce Winter Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:49 am

Matt,
Although I work with Vireya almost daily, Sherla Bertelmann or Richard Marques at Pacific Island Nursery will have a wider range of information regarding species. For planting in tree ferns, I pull away a piece of old frond, jam in some moss, and stick a cutting in or tie roots of larger Vireya onto and covered with, moss. I live in a cool upland rain forest with no extreme temps so I'm not concerned with water, otherwise, Vireya planted this way would have to be watered frequently.

As to lime leaching, I have no idea, but Vireya have shallow roots so I'm thinking it wouldn't be a problem. We're on catchment and some of the tanks are concrete which is a plus since our rain is acidic. Kilaeua volcano is 10 minutes from here.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 am

MattA wrote:

Jim,
They are that glorious messy entanglement only due to our need to categorize classify preserve & box everything. I get a headache just thinking about the reworking, leave that for the boffins, lots more fun to be had growing them.

HEAR HEAR!!

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:00 am

Apologies for the weedy background but I took this pic today to show a friend how far she has come since inception 10yrs ago.
Vireya Rhododendron - Page 2 Spr1310

To follow on from the last post, in May I cut off all the low growth & using the lowest remaining branch started training a new tail. It has filled out greatly but most of this will be removed after flowering when I plan to repot into the larger cone it its on. I feel where it is heading the added space & weight will help balance the growth of the coming 10yrs.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2