AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Ka Pabling on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:30 pm

This aroma (acacia farnesiana) was given to me by Jolz last sunday when we visited Ka Marios hidden garden in Batangas City. It is seldome used for bonsai due to the difficulty in in getting it. Its a shrub/tree that grows up to 4 mts. the trunk is guarded by weeping branches with needle sharp spines about 4 cm long.,but then, theres nothing hard or impossible for bonsaist when it comes to getting good bonsai materials.

[img][url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=2&u=16603607]http://i20.servimg.com/u/f20/16/60/36/07/02110.jpg[/img][/url]





Last edited by Ka Pabling on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Rob Kempinski on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Looks interesting - can we see the top?

Rob Kempinski
Member


Back to top Go down

AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Ka Pabling on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Oops sorry, heres the full view of the tree


[img] [url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=7&u=16603607]http://i20.servimg.com/u/f20/16/60/36/07/02611.jpg[/img][/url]


Last edited by Ka Pabling on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Ka Pabling on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:15 pm

heres my initial choice for front,




Last edited by Ka Pabling on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:41 pm; edited 4 times in total

Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

Acacia farnesiana

Post  bonsaisr on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Good luck. It will probably do better in your climate. I struggled with it for years & they all eventually died on me. Too much zone envy. Mad
Iris

bonsaisr
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  kauaibonsai on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:35 am

hello ka pabling

this plant is known as klu in hawaii. grows wild in hot dry sections of the islands. quite a pest. unfortunately big nice ones like yours are hard to find here. ours are mostly small shrub size, but have nice features for bonsai. I have quite a few in varying stages of development. the wood is hard and has a beautiful color. when kept in partial shade, the foliage gets thick and green and the leaf bracts shrink substantially.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai
Member


Back to top Go down

AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Ka Pabling on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:02 am



Hello Iris,
Im sad to hear your experience with aroma, it must be your climate,what made you try aroma?

best regards
ka pabling

Hello Sam,
Thanks for the tip, this is my first aroma, I thought it needs full sun I will look for a more suitable place with partial shade. We have two varieties of aroma, one is found along seashores these are those that have thick and rugged barks like this tree and those that are found inland which have fine barks.
Even here these trees are considered pest specially those that are found along beaches.

Best regards,
ka pabling




Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  bonsaisr on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:38 am

Ka Pabling wrote:
Hello Iris,
Im sad to hear your experience with aroma, it must be your climate,what made you try aroma?
I wanted to have an acacia, since acacias are found in Israel and mentioned prominently in the Bible. Dave Lowman specializes in them & I took a workshop with him once. I must admit I have had little success with Mediterranean trees, but I keep trying.
My larch & pines are doing fine. lol!
Iris

bonsaisr
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  jolz on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:02 am

Ka Pabling,
With your good hands, I already see a bright future for this Aroma; what an improvement on the trunk details you've done. That tree is the smallest in my Aroma collection, I will be giving you a bigger trunk next time you visit me; but I think you'll be needing a little practice on body building just to lift them.The soil used for this one comes from its habitat; almost muddy and very hard when dried. You can replace it with any sandy soil if you wish and no need to worry since this is very resistant tree to dying back when replanting.
Regards,
Jolz

jolz
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  kauaibonsai on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 am

you are a lucky man, ka pabling.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Ka Pabling on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:55 am

bonsaisr wrote:
Ka Pabling wrote:
Hello Iris,
Im sad to hear your experience with aroma, it must be your climate,what made you try aroma?
I wanted to have an acacia, since acacias are found in Israel and mentioned prominently in the Bible. Dave Lowman specializes in them & I took a workshop with him once. I must admit I have had little success with Mediterranean trees, but I keep trying.
My larch & pines are doing fine. lol!
Iris

Hi Iris,
Yes, acacia is one of the few trees mentioned in the bible, just keep on trying, perhaps somedays you will make it. acacia is a very sturdy tree, hard to kill they say.
best regards
ka pabling

Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Ka Pabling on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:47 am

jolz wrote:Ka Pabling,
With your good hands, I already see a bright future for this Aroma; what an improvement on the trunk details you've done. That tree is the smallest in my Aroma collection, I will be giving you a bigger trunk next time you visit me; but I think you'll be needing a little practice on body building just to lift them.The soil used for this one comes from its habitat; almost muddy and very hard when dried. You can replace it with any sandy soil if you wish and no need to worry since this is very resistant tree to dying back when replanting.
Regards,
Jolz

Hi Jolz,
I am looking for an appropriate pot for this tree, it is scheduled for repotting this weekend, I will be using vulcanic cynder and coarse river sand as medium.
When are you coming back? I am looking forward to our hunting trip to that "aroma paradise".
Best regards
ka pabling

HI Sam,
can you post your aroma collection?
Best regards,
ka pabling




Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Ka Pabling on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:56 am

Good morning IBC,

Here is an update of the tree.
Its in a chinese pot.
Its a stormy morning here so
its a bit dark for the pictures.








Hope you enjoy,
Best wishes
ka pabling

Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  crush on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:34 am

Hi ka pabling,

I wanna share this Aroma bonsai from kuya efren at bauang bonsai garden, its a 13 years old
and it was sold php50K along with others approximately more than 35 nos.

There are lots of aroma here at La Union along shoreline but the best spot to get them is along the road because
they were always cut and burned by the community and sometimes made for charcoal.

Its a lovely bonsai because of its feature especially its bark. I have few medium size post later.
url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=20&u=15751744][/url]

"Crush"


crush
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Ka Pabling on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:45 am

Hi Crush,

Thats a nice aroma, large and good trunk movement., can you show a closeup of the barks, so we can determine if its the inland variety or the coastal ones. Thanks

Best wishes,
Ka pabling


Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  tiennavi on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:56 am

great work, tks for sharing!

tiennavi
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  crush on Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:44 am

Ka Pabling wrote:Hi Crush,

Thats a nice aroma, large and good trunk movement., can you show a closeup of the barks, so we can determine if its the inland variety or the coastal ones. Thanks

Best wishes,
Ka pabling


Hi Ka Pabling,

Its from the coastline as said by kuya efren a bonsai hunter & collector.
Some of this aroma grows huge trunk at sandy area and medium size at sandy & rocky area.
It's one of the best material next to bantigue and still abundant, I have collected 3 nos. on training at the moment, part of La Union are already protected.

You have lots of great bonsai Sir...and great future with your aroma.



"Crush"

crush
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  kauaibonsai on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:20 am

now thats a beauty !! what I've found so far here, doesn't even come close to the size and quality of your farnensiana. ka pabling. I will post a few of my humble ones which will look like runts compared to yours.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Ka Pabling on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:36 am

kauaibonsai wrote:now thats a beauty !! what I've found so far here, doesn't even come close to the size and quality of your farnensiana. ka pabling. I will post a few of my humble ones which will look like runts compared to yours.

best wishes, sam

I would like to see your trees Sam.

Hi Crush,
Thats the same tree you posted earlier? If you look closely at the bark of my aroma you will see the difference, mine came from the seashores of Batangas.
I have some suggestions for your tree if you are willing ,you decide if you want to take or not.
I am planing a trip to Ilocos,perhaps I can drop by ,
Best regards
ka pabling


Last edited by Ka Pabling on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  jolz on Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:53 am

Goodday guys,
I'm posting my very first Aroma below, one year in training. Actually this should be the one that I should be giving to Ka Pabling but unfortunately, he cannot carry it home due to its size and weight. This one is one meter tall from the base of the trunk up to the apex, one foot width of trunk base and this is the first time it has undergone defoliation.

Details of the Shari: This is natural, it was curved by nature and was only polished by me.


The lifeline: As viewed from the back


To Ka Pabling: See you when I come back on the 3rd week of July. I'll hunt more Aromas for you.

Regards to everyone,
Jolz

jolz
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Guest on Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:26 pm

Ahemmm! Jolz. If you have some spare Aroma, I'm willing to send a crew and a truck to pick it up. Smile
nothing is too big or too heavy.

I Haven't seen the ficus on the rock you sent to me, my schedule to pick it up today was postponed due to the heavy flooding.

next time I'll go with mang Pabling,, looks like I missed a lot.

regards,
jun Smile


Very nice tree Mang Pabling I can't wait to see it.
I'll probably drop by on Sunday.



regards,
jun Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

aroma

Post  Ka Pabling on Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:53 pm

next time I'll go with mang Pabling,, looks like I missed a lot.

aside from the aroma, look what you have missed
jun,


Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  jolz on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:20 pm

Gents,
I'm just thinking, maybe you missed a lot. We will schedule sometime from now the hunting's here in Batangas. Just keep in touched. By the 3rd week of july I will be available. To all IBC members, I'm inviting everyone, we have hotels here; if you think that the spending are not affordable, count on me; we can spend the night together in the forest.
Regards,
Jolz

jolz
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Ka Pabling on Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:55 pm

crushdrive wrote:Hi ka pabling,

I wanna share this Aroma bonsai from kuya efren at bauang bonsai garden, its a 13 years old
and it was sold php50K along with others approximately more than 35 nos.

There are lots of aroma here at La Union along shoreline but the best spot to get them is along the road because
they were always cut and burned by the community and sometimes made for charcoal.

Its a lovely bonsai because of its feature especially its bark. I have few medium size post later.
url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=20&u=15751744][/url]

"Crush"
Hello Crush,
I am afraid what you said is true not only in your place but everywhere, In Bats, I saw a large pile of firewood, all aroma! they say its a good material for firewood.I think we should act fast to get our our materials before it is consumed.
Can you post your medium size aromas?

Best wishes,
ka pabling





Ka Pabling
Member


Back to top Go down

AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  geo on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Just found this thread. I am pumped.I potted up a seedling a few months ago as Leucaena leucocephala.Dumb eh!
Now I have properly identified it as Acacia farnesiana.I thought I might develop it as a mame.The pot measurements are:length-12cms,width-6cms,depth-4cms.I know not to try to develop a mama in a mame pot,BUT,in this instance the Acacia has grown a 1cm trunk from nearly nothing in 6 months.Additionally it has a first branch,which I am using to thicken the trunk,which is already longer than the apex(apex-10 cms,first branch-14cms). Now I am stumped(no pun intended).Please give me a clue as to how to continue with this Acacia.
Thanks,
George.

geo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: AROMA (acacia farnesiana)

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:53 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum