Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cracking Yew

3 posters

Go down

Cracking Yew Empty Cracking Yew

Post  Mikey P Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi there IBC. I would firstly just like to say that I have really enjoyed the forum over the past month. There have been some wonderful pictures and shared views for my personal research.
Now here's the problem: I have a Yew that is doing really well but just earlier today I noticed a few cracks in the bark. The bark has somehow striped itself from the tree and showed what looks to be live flesh; but it does not look sappy. It looks dry and a lighter coloured bark. This has appeared all over the tree. I am very curious to what is happening??
Here are a few pictures for you to look at. Sorry for the quality, I only have a phone to take pictures.
Thank you for any reply and any help that you can give me.

Cracking Yew 19062011

Cracking Yew 19062012

Cracking Yew 19062013

Cracking Yew 19062014
Mikey P
Mikey P

Back to top Go down

Cracking Yew Empty Re: Cracking Yew

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:36 pm

Someone who grows Yews will need to respond, but there are species that shed their bark as they grow. I have at least three in my collection, A Florida native called Stimpsons Stopper, Crape Myrtle, and Brazilian Raintree. I also have a disease of Elms that causes shedding of bark, this is fatal to the tree.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:10 pm

Mikey this is a good sign that the tree is very healthy. The sap is rising! You can leave it... Or like me pick it off... Really you should leave I mate.

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:37 pm

tony wrote: You can leave it... Or like me pick it off... Tony

I bet your mother told you not to!
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikey P Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks for your reply Billy. And thank you for the information on other species which also do this. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . And Tony that is just what i wanted to hear. Thanks guys. thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Mikey P
Mikey P

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down