Buxus problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Buxus problem

Post  Hans Vleugels on Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi all,

I could use some help in identifying a problem I have with one of my Buxus, and how to treat it... Neutral
I have this problem where some branches are dying off. I made some pictures to show the problem.

Almost completely dead branch with some new growth on the tips of the twigs.

The red circle shows the top of a damaged leaf

And some detailed photos of fallen leaves at different stages:

First, is this a fungus? Or is this a different kind of insect or mite?

Thanks for your help!

Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Re: Buxus problem

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Looks like some kind of scale to me. But I don't see the living scale. Those leaves just show what is left behind.

It is, at least, some kind of a sucking insect. That's what a severe infestation does to leaves and branches.

You need to do a careful examination of healthy leaves and branches. You may need a hand lens.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Nina on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:01 am

I can't see the symptoms nearly well enough. I see sooty mold, which is a fungus that feeds on honeydew from scale insects, so I'll guess scales are present. I see what looks like fruiting bodies of Macrophoma, a fungus that attacks senescent buxus leaves, but it's an indicator of stress, not really a problem in itself. So I'm going to guess that this tree is being stressed by scales.

Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum