Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese elm

+4
lordy
Mitch Thomas
moyogijohn
JimLewis
8 posters

Go down

Chinese elm Empty Chinese elm

Post  JimLewis Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:04 pm

This is my only elm. I bought it a few years ago on a whim. I generally don't like Chinese elms, but I'm saddled with this one, so I'm trying to work with it. The tree stands 18 inches from the soil line. It had a fair base and surface roots, but I wired them and have kept them under the soil for a couple of years now so the roots could thicken.

I welcome suggestions.

The first picture is what I see as the front.

Chinese elm 6-11a10

And the back.

Chinese elm 6-11b10

I guess the reason I don't care for Chinese elms is that they tend to be landscape weeds in many parts of the country. Out west, they or their close relatives suck water out of the soil. As bonsai, they are ubiquitous as cheap-and-ugly, imported, exaggerated "S" curve atrocities.

I see this one as a mother-daughter, almost twin trunk. I don't know whether to shorten the main section or not. When you are not partial to a type of tree it seems harder to see anything in them.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Chinese elm Empty chinese elm

Post  moyogijohn Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:53 am

Jim,,i just seen your post and tried to reply... i just can,t see why you don,t like this tree.. my opion it is trimed and wired good.. i would not shorten this one..maybe let the branches get a little longer,,pot up in a green or blue green pot..it NEEDS to be on my benches..looks good take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Chinese elm Empty Chinese Elm

Post  Mitch Thomas Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:32 am

Hi Jim
I too see a very nice tree in the making. Am I too missing something, I don't know why you don't like it. I think a different pot and a shorter Mother Daughter style slanting tree would be sweet . If it really bothers you that much it would a much appreciated addition to my bench ........he he...... Yea right!

Could trade ya collected Bald cypress or parsley hawthorn?

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Chinese elm Empty Re: Chinese elm

Post  JimLewis Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks to both of you. It isn't so much THIS tree that I dislike as the species in general.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Chinese elm Empty :no: C E

Post  Mitch Thomas Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Hi Jim
Ahh ok should have read your post better. I agree its hard to break free from the chinese elm rubber stamp style

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  lordy Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:45 pm

I too dislike the S-curved versions. I have two informal uprights in the ground now that will be good trees before long. They grow nearly as fast as a trident, bud like crazy, and can develop good ramification fairly easily. If I had your tree, I would put it in the ground for a year or two to add branches, then I'm sure you could come up with a good plan for it's future.
lordy
lordy

Back to top Go down

Chinese elm Empty Chinese elm update

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:57 pm

It's a little shorter now, a bit more than a year later. I'm still going with about the same front, tho I've turned the tree a bit to the right. I've Photoshopped (or, rather, PhotoFiltred) off a large sacrifice branch growing out of the lower trunk.

I need to develop a more rounded top for the tree. No pointy-headed elms for me! I also need to work on how the foliage from the larger lower right branch and the foliage of the main tree merge together. It's a big blob now.

Chinese elm 7-12_b12
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:09 am

Jim.,, It still looks good even better ... I like what you have done.. I wish i had the thick foliage on mine !! I only have 2 left but the bigger one is my best tree.. show us again take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi Jim,
I had one similar to yours, but unfortunately had passed away.

Chinese elm 3_Janeiro2009_C

Chinese elm 2_Janeiro2009_B

Chinese elm 1_Janeiro2009_A

I coul only rescue a small branch:

Chinese elm Maio_2012-1

But if you don't like elms, please give me a call aka PM Very Happy
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  Cronic Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:36 pm

i love chinese elms.. i gotten a small one from my club, which was a shohin in broom style, but i didn't like that so i trimmed it extremely and wired it to informal upright and left a few branches to grow, under which one i'm going to let grow as new top.. so it can go at least a good 20cm..
since the trimming 4 weeks ago, the entire tree is now covered with some 50 to 60 brand new shoots..

Cronic

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:55 am

JIM,,I have looked at your tree severel times and have a Qestion please... what do you think it would look like if the second small trunk was removed ??? it looks good as is bt i just wondered about a single trunk.. only a question bt what do you think ???take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Judge for yourself.

Chinese elm 7-12_b10

Not MY cuppa . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:19 pm

Jim,

when you are ready, just post it to me.
I likkkkah.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:44 am

OK Jim,, it was only a thought... i think if it were the height in the first pictures,,it would look good single but shortened maybe NOT.. It still a good tree and you will know how to make it better!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  BonsaiIssues Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:49 am

Sorry don't mean to hijack but check out this elm from the bonsai show in chicago this weekend, I think it's awsome

Chinese elm Bonsai237

BonsaiIssues

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down