Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some help! Photo's now included!

5 posters

Go down

I need some help! Photo's now included! Empty I need some help! Photo''s now included!

Post  Sandie Wed May 20, 2009 8:31 pm

Can anyone help me to identify the type of Bonsai tree I have?

I need some help! Photo's now included! 10414

I was given my tree as a gift approximately 5 years now and it seems to have done quite well up until now. Unfortunately the information on the tree, is all in German but what I can make out is that the tree was between 8 and 15 years old when purchased, how long it had been sitting in the garden centre before then, is anyones guess. It does say on the label Herbae Optimae Formae, I don't know if this helps?

My bonsai is rather tall as it stands about 3 foot high and lives in the conservatory, which it does seem to like. There is no heating in there in the winter and the french doors are often left open in the summer.

I have noticed recently though that although there is new leaves coming through, I am loosing a number of leaves which are at first going yellow then dropping off. I have also noticed that a large number of leaves seem to be suffering from black spots. I have never repotted it either in fear of killing it off which I have learnt from todays research that perhaps I should have. I have never prunned it either.

I need some help! Photo's now included! 10210I need some help! Photo's now included! 10810

Please help as I love my Bonsai tree and I don't want to suddenly wake up one day to find all the leaves have dropped off! Any help would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Sandie on Thu May 21, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photo's now included)

Sandie

Back to top Go down

I need some help! Photo's now included! Empty Re: I need some help! Photo's now included!

Post  fiona Wed May 20, 2009 11:50 pm

A picture would be a good start point for a forum member to help with any identification. There are guidelines on the site as to how to do this and I personally found Jim Lewis' tutorial on posting pictures most helpful. To find this, go into IBC Forum: Testing and you'll see it as a Sticky.

My understanding of Herbae Optimae Formae is that it is the "trademark" of Bunnik Plants who are a major player in the house plant industry, so no help with the ident there I'm afraid.

Looking forward to your pic. BTW - I'm betting on either a Chinese Elm or, more likely, a Ficus of some sort. Very Happy
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

I need some help! Photo's now included! Empty ID

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu May 21, 2009 12:57 pm

Green Island Ficus - Ficus microcarpa

It needs to be outside as much as possible in your climate. Protect below 50 F

Needs repotting to a larger pot or repotting to the same pot with major reduction in plant volume (lots of pruning).

You really have two or three trees there.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

I need some help! Photo's now included! Empty Re: I need some help! Photo's now included!

Post  Joe Hatfield Thu May 21, 2009 2:40 pm

The location you have it in is directly in front of the window could be deadly for your tree.

The temperature can exceed over 100 degrees F (while the temperature outside seems cool) which can dry your tree out severely. Yellowing of the leaves is a usually a good indication of under watering, and black leaves are usually a sign of over watering.

Definitely takes Billys' advice also. That tree needs some fresh soil in its life. Smile

Where are you located BTW?
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu May 21, 2009 5:35 pm

Joe, don't forget to check the poster's region. He's in the UK somewhere, so an indoor location near glass is probably best for a tropical, until frosts are past. My two year old Green Island Ficus cutting is doing fine in an unheated greenhouse, all year round, here in North Wales.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down