Satsuki ID?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Satsuki ID?

Post  Ian Young on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 pm

Picked this one up last year. I was wondering if any of the Satsuki folk here know what variety it is.

Satsuki Azalea by Bonsai eejit, on Flickr

White

Light Pink

Light Pink Linear Variegation

Dark Pink

Leaf Size

Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Re: Satsuki ID?

Post  Russell Coker on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Gosh, I don't know... 'Aozora', maybe?????????

Glaucus, where are you?

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Maybe 'Aikoku'. The pale lavender flowers do make me doubt it a lot. I don't know if 'Aikoku' actually does that.
Any white center patterns? 'Aikoku' seems to love to do that one.

I'll browse through my dictionary. Maybe it's actually something related to 'Aikoku' but not 'Aikoku' itself.

[edit]

Well, 'Aozora' is 'Aikoku' x 'Kozan'. But 'Aozora' flowers will be much smaller. Indeed 'Aozora' will do the very pale lavender ones with still a bit of a yellow blotch.

'Aozora':
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss73/Harunobu/20100530191509637.jpg

'Aikoku':
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss73/Harunobu/aikoku.jpg

Does 'Aozora' even do 6 petals?

'Aikoku' flowers should be like 7 cm and 'Aozora' like 4 cm. I think this flower is too big for 'Aozora'. Also, I don't think 'Aozora' does pure white flowers, only very pale ones.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:13 am

'Aikoku' was my other guess too. Not sure about the size/petal count thing. What's throwing me is that dark, solid flower in the top - sure seems purple-ish.

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:04 am

Because of the many pale coloured flowers I think 'Issho no Haru'. When I think 'Issho no Haru' I usually think fukurin patterns, but I still think this is most correct.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:22 am

I really appreciate the effort to ID this one. It's just amazing the variety within the Satsuki family!

I thought 'Aikoku' was pretty close. I'll have to look up this 'Issho no Haru' now Exclamation

Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Another one

Post  Ian Young on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:49 am

I was chatting to a friend about trying to ID my one. He said he didn't know what his was either Very Happy

This is the only photo I have of it in flower. It does have a few flowers with a slightly darker shade of pink.

NIBS Spring Display 2011 by Bonsai eejit, on Flickr

It's a bit like a quiz this, except we don't have the answers written down somewhere thumbs up

Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Satsuki ID

Post  pmjos on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:54 am

Can I suggest the one man in the Uk I know who has the full catagorised list for satsuki in Japanese and can read it. e mail Ken leavers at Windybank Bonsai with pics. I'm sure he could help you. To be honest I think pretty much everyone else would be a guess.

Phil

pmjos

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:58 am

pmjos wrote:Can I suggest the one man in the Uk I know who has the full catagorised list for satsuki in Japanese and can read it. e mail Ken leavers at Windybank Bonsai with pics. I'm sure he could help you. To be honest I think pretty much everyone else would be a guess.

Phil

Cheers Phil, I might do that as well Very Happy
I think the first one actually came from Ken's place many, many years ago.

Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:58 pm

pmjos wrote:Can I suggest the one man in the Uk I know who has the full catagorised list for satsuki in Japanese and can read it. e mail Ken leavers at Windybank Bonsai with pics. I'm sure he could help you. To be honest I think pretty much everyone else would be a guess.

Phil

Bad news, Phil - attempting to identify satsuki from a list is pretty much a guess too. Lists don't indicate flower size and texture, and good shots of foliage actually help with identification too, or at least rule out some of the possibilities. Lists also rarely show the full range of flowers of a given variety. Obviously, the best way to be sure is to have the plant sitting in your lap. But that's not going to happen here, is it? Btw, this is what I tried to explain in your "Satsuki Semicascade" thread last year.

Ian, that picture is too washed out for me to even venture a guess.

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Russell Coker wrote:

Ian, that picture is too washed out for me to even venture a guess.

Only one I have at the moment, If i'm down at his place before it finishes flowering I'll take another snap.
Thanks for the help.

Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:18 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum