I wonder why . . . .

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I wonder why . . . .

Post  JimLewis on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:37 pm

I hurt, it's nearly 100 degrees F outside with humidity to match, I can't breath and I'm feeling pretty danged grumpy, so . . . .

I wonder why (in no particular order):

• People try to do bonsai with jade trees, Shefflera, most of the round or oval leafed figs, Serissa, any or all plants bought at a big box store, and when they haven't the foggiest notion how even to grow a radish or a daisy,
  • People complain about taxes, then scream when their garbage isn't picked up, or their kids can't read or do math, or when they get mugged, or when they're flooded out of homes built where homes should never have been built, or (the list is endless, since people today seem always to want something for no effort -- or payment -- on their part),
  • People rave about the inexplicably popular Taylor Swift, who I have never heard sing without going seriously flat at some point in her number, has absolutely vacant eyes, and has posture like a question mark,
  • People seem to think tattoos and piercings are art forms when they're nothing but disfigurements that won't stand the test of time any more than their bodies will,
  • Athletes -- in football (both kinds), baseball, basketball, golf and even ice hockey and bowling (not to mention, the non-sport, non-athletic race-car driver) -- all get paid many times more money than teachers, policemen/policewomen and soldiers who put their lives on the line every day, and any number of other occupations that actually do some societal good for the world.
My list could go on, but I have to go lie down . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Good Answer

Post  peewee1974 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Tell it brother, tell it

peewee1974

Back to top Go down

Re: I wonder why . . . .

Post  handy mick on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:45 pm

I wonder why as well Jim,
I have my own business, and wonder why a lot, like
- why is it harder to get money out of those who actually have some, while those who really can't spare will literally scrape it together.
- why is it that people will try to barter a small business person down, but will pay full price at any of the multi billion dollar companies stores.

Just pondering
Mick

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:17 pm

Very Happy

Never heard about Taylor Swift, but I'll google it Embarassed

For the rest, being reputed among some as an old crabbit git meself, I understand very well what you mean. And perhaps that's just because we're young at heart. Like "los indignados"?

Anyway, we probably feel that things are really turning into... something unfair and nasty.

Some old medicine to soothe our minds, I'm sure that rings a bell to you Jim Cool

May sound a bit cheesy for some, but I just love it Laughing

And, wow, how Mary was sexy - such vital energy, so full of life and hope...

Embarassed

AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:00 am

Jim –
Thanks for making me laugh, in fact downright guffaw! Even though I’m certain that wasn’t your purpose.

I wonder as well! But then I think to my own overly fallible and self-indulgent nature and stop wondering and start introspecting. Is there any hope for us? We can be so grand in ambition and dreams but so narrow in focus and intent…

I’m sorry that you hurt – I hope you recover quickly! And I’m sorry about the temps, but I am a little jealous. Here on the west coast we have had no spring and it seems like no summer. It’s raining as I write this even though the “dry” season should be in full swing and the temps are just creeping past 60 degrees Fahrenheit. In the mid west the storms and tornados continue unabated. And out on the east coast you are sweltering. The “new-normal” I suppose? However, I think the “new-normal” is yet to be determined.

Wishing you and all of IBC the best! (considering…)

David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:09 am

David Brunner wrote: Here on the west coast we have had no spring and it seems like no summer. It’s raining as I write this even though the “dry” season should be in full swing and the temps are just creeping past 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
When did you move to Scotland, David? Very Happy

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:31 am

Fiona – Sheesh, I think I have moved there involuntarily!

Here in SF, I am very used to cool and foggy summers (you may know the old misquotation of Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain) “I’ve never known a winter as cold as summer in San Francisco!”); but not cold and rainy!

We don’t typically have warmth, but at least we have usually “dryth.” As to your wet and soggy local, I can only say ‘Slainte Mhor!”

David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:35 am

David Brunner wrote: We can be so grand in ambition and dreams ….
David's comment and Jim's remarks about poor lil Taylor Swift's inability to hold a tune reminded me of dear old Florence Foster Jenkins - a lady who never let her lack of talent hold her back in her dream of becoming a world famous opera singer. Here she is... erm..."singing" Mozart:

Those of a nervous disposition should not listen.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 am

I hear you Jim, and hope you get better soon.
But I gotta point my finger at one thing here.. "People seem to think tattoos and piercings are art forms when they're nothing but disfigurements that won't stand the test of time any more than their bodies will"
Is it really a problem that people do what they like to do towards their own body? I dont have a single tattoo or piercing, but
aint my business if someone wanna get it. And lets not get into the whole "what is art" deal again...

OT: It seems like we are suddenly getting a bit of summer-like weather to Norway !

Storm

Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:43 am

Good god Fiona – Stop singing now! Your friends may not tell you but alas…

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:45 am

My friends tell me I have the voice of an angel.

Or was it of an angle-grinder...

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:51 am

You need new friends! (Unless of course you have carefully selected your friends for affirmation purposes; in that case CONGRATULATIONS!)

Yours in friendship (unless…)

David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  LordEOfBeckley on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:39 pm

You've apparently never seen Jim Smith's Dwarf Jades... they are nothing short of amazing. As for people trying to grow bonsai from sub-par material and not knowing how to grow a radish or a daisy... we were all beginners once and EVERYONE here has at one point or another done something like this... it's called being a beginner and learning.

Tattoos and Piercings... it's their bodies, you may not agree, but who are you to pass judgement on them? Many would say the same about bonsai not being an art... simply horticulture and just growing trees in pots.

Maybe people complain about taxes because they keep going up (along with the cost of living) and peoples wages have stayed stagnant (assuming that they've kept their jobs)

Taylor Swift... no idea who she really is (an i assume that you don't know who she is on a personal level either) so I cannot pass judgement here.

Athletes... I can't say I disagree, but people watch sports... a lot of sports. When they stop doing this, the players salaries will drop, until then... the market will dictate their pay.

LordEOfBeckley

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Just a note: These are MY musings. I'm not suggesting to anyone else that they should be THEIR musings. You may do what you want with and to your body and with and to your world. But don't complain if either action comes back and bites you some day.

What MY generation did to our world and what this generation is continuing to do to it is biting all of us now. And it's too late to do anything but expect it to get worse before we can make it somewhat better -- if we will.

Alain, I adored PPand M. Spent a lot of my college money on their shows "in the Day".

Fiona, regretfully FFJ is not adore-able.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:18 am

Florence is superb! A class act! My mum turned me on to her thirty years ago and we had numerous laughs. I put her in the league of Dame Edna; although I don't know if Florence thought of herself as campy.
Jim, I feel your pain. We weren't that hot today (hit 90 F), but I'm "wiped" just by working on trees today. Hot baths and chocolate ice cream are great for those aches and pains.
Best,
Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:38 am

The origins of Tattoo & piercing as body adornement date to before the earliest growing of any plants in pots let alone bonsai...

but its not art

and it wont last
last as long as my body will & thats all that matters to me & my ink

Edit:- its 12C I am laid up with chest infection & its pissing with rain when all I want to do is be playing in the mud (the never ending garden build) Still cant manage grumpy jocolor

Back to top Go down

It won't last

Post  Mitch Thomas on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Sorry I didn't mean to offend so I deleted it

Last edited by Mitch Thomas on Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hangover texting)

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:53 pm

I know a much better one than that but it's way too rude to put on here. Wink

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:26 am

I'm a professional grumpy old git, (just ask anyone who knows me), but I ain't going anywhere near Jim's gripes, not today. Today I'm on a high. Today is my first day back from my trip to see Pavel, Kuba, Mirek and the 2 Romans, and I'm still buzzing with everything we saw and did. Today is a good day.

Tomorrow, though.....ahh, tomorrow may be different. Tomorrow I go back to work.

I will contribute this, though. Sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hpkP2mb4SA

And yes, she IS serious.

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos on Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Harleyrider wrote:I'm a professional grumpy old git, (just ask anyone who knows me), but I ain't going anywhere near Jim's gripes, not today. Today I'm on a high. Today is my first day back from my trip to see Pavel, Kuba, Mirek and the 2 Romans, and I'm still buzzing with everything we saw and did. Today is a good day.

Tomorrow, though.....ahh, tomorrow may be different. Tomorrow I go back to work.

I will contribute this, though. Sorry.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hpkP2mb4SA

And yes, she IS serious.

Yeah grumpy old git you.
I want to ask Jim, Why are you wondering about things, people do as they like, If one doesnt like things keep to your self (if not asked for opinion)
Tatoo is art, wether you like it or not, some artists are better then others....

Peter

landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Hmmm . . . touchy . . . You seem to think I am, but I'm not even trying to tell anyone what to do (tho I often want to) to themselves.

Just venting -- as is my right.

Probably it's best that I hurt too much to keep on typing . . .

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:49 pm

Jim, you have lived long enough to have earned the right to be grumpy and opinionated any day you choose!

If we all don't have musings (or at least admit to them), we would all be liars!

It is 100* according to the sign across the street (here in beautiful downtown Springfield, Illinois) I'm up to watering twice a day, when it isn't raining ALL DAY!

I wonder why the Chicago government is so against the right to keep and bare arms, while the robbery rate has just gone up 10 percent and there is a current movement called "mob robbings" the idiots get on ther cell phones, let all their friends know where the mob will gather ... and none of their victims can legally defend themselves.

I wonder, why our Yankee government thinks they should try and to tell people how they should eat when they've screwed up everything else they've done in the past.

I wonder how a young man can go through the same Marine Corps values training ( I went through) and still turn out to be the lying, whining, bully that my son-in-law turned out to be.

They used to say "perception equals reality"; but I say "perception plus attitude equals reality".

Jim, I hope it cools down and you feel better! (ps... I have tatoos!) Grump away!

Jay

Last edited by Jay Gaydosh on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)

Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:44 pm

I wonder why the Chicago government is so against the right to keep and bare arms,

WHAT?????

You can't wear short sleeves in Chicago? WHAT is the world coming to? (BIG <g>)

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:48 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum