Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's a few pots...

+33
jersanct
tomas g
Sam Ogranaja
bumblebee
horst
Rob Kempinski
newzealandteatree
Jesse
Gwyther
Marty Weiser
dave
Tom Benda
pjkatich
Roger Snipes
Dale Cochoy
GaryWood
Kagemusha
sitarbonsai
Dan Barton
Alan Walker
John Quinn
Harleyrider
EdMerc
prestontolbert
Stone Monkey
Russell Coker
Klaudia & Martin
Jim Doiron
rock
Robert Wallace
peter krebs
kitoi
Rob Addonizio
37 posters

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Here's a few pots... - Page 7 Empty Re: Here's a few pots...

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Thanks Russell, Ed and Paul for your comments and feedback. Although the topics are not the same, I agree with what each of you said.

Paul, the clay is Standard 547. After doing some research, it turns out that it should be fine, as long as it is a light reduction.

But, as I am sure you know, the only real way to know is to test, test, test... Wink

Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:05 am

Wow how the time flies.....

I FINALLY have some new pots from my new kiln to share. Just getting the new kiln up and running has been a MAJOR effort. Time has been spent on building a shed, getting permits, putting the gas line in, etc. I have a LONG way to go to get things the way I want them, but that's where the fun starts.

Anyhoo, here is a large oval with a lot of iron, medium level of reduction...

Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-110
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:09 am

this is a small oval with a yellow glaze

Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-111
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:19 am

I appreciate all the discussion lately about the traditional and the artistic styles/directions taking root in contemporary bonsai today. Walter Pall has helped to push the artistic side with his presentation of Gorbelny's primitive pots. I think perhaps this pot suits that vein, I hope...
Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-112

Perhaps I could see an old pine or larch in this dark brooding piece? Here is the other side...
Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-114
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Benda Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:58 am

I like Your pots very much, but I especially love the feets of Your pots! It´s not so long I´ve been taught the technical term "footfetish"!

I remember one of my nonclassical Smile pots too:
Here's a few pots... - Page 7 4th_va10
Here's a few pots... - Page 7 4th_va11

Tom Benda

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi Rob,
very nice pots, the first pot is my favorite. Very Happy

Best regards
Peter

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Wallace Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Rob,
Great to see your new work out of the gas kiln. Now to embark upon the reduction effect cheers I love the feet on that rustic one very natural and fitting of that pot. I am looking forward to seeing more and am glad you gotten your gas set up finally going. I am gearing up to fire this weekend hopefully I will have time to photo a few and post.
Keep up the great work!
Robert
Robert Wallace
Robert Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:11 am

Rob Addonizio wrote:Wow how the time flies.....

I FINALLY have some new pots from my new kiln to share. Just getting the new kiln up and running has been a MAJOR effort. Time has been spent on building a shed, getting permits, putting the gas line in, etc. I have a LONG way to go to get things the way I want them, but that's where the fun starts.

Anyhoo, here is a large oval with a lot of iron, medium level of reduction...

Hey Rob,

This pot is absolutely beautiful. I love the feet, would love to know how you make them... bounce

I am curious, 'a lot of iron'... is this a particular type of clay? or one you have modified? applied wash?

Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:43 am

Peter,
Thanks for your kind words. Your pots are always an inspiration!

Robert,
I appreciate your words of encouragement very much, and I am looking forward to seeing some of your new pots too! I am glad you can appreciate the artistic rustic look in the pot you mentioned. I like it so much, I am not sure I want to sell it!!!

Matt
These pieces are made with a mixture of leftover scraps from different claybodies that I use. I must recycle them and make them ready for the type of work I do. In this pot I added an iron wash to give it a warm toasty unglazed look. As for the feet, I am giving credit to sir Dan Barton! I have seen this coiled look in functional pottery for years, but I noticed Dan Barton using it on some of his feet on his pots quite effectively as well.
Thanks for taking time to comment!
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:47 am

Tom,
Somehow I lost my reply to you when I sent it.... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I really like that pot you posted here. It is a great combination of the slab and rectangular forms. As for your lack of feet, I think it is very effective too. You should make more like this, yes?

Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:56 am

That dark brooding piece is gone, is gone now, and I really miss it! Oh well, at least I know it went to a good home!

Well, to kick things along, here are some from my last firing.

This is a commissioned oval, fired in reduction, ^6:Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-115
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:58 am

This round has both stain and glaze, about 6.5" across:Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-116
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:02 am

This is a carved half cascade. I have done this style a few times; it sticks to me...Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-117
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:05 am

Rob Addonizio wrote:
Matt
These pieces are made with a mixture of leftover scraps from different claybodies that I use. I must recycle them and make them ready for the type of work I do. In this pot I added an iron wash to give it a warm toasty unglazed look. As for the feet, I am giving credit to sir Dan Barton! I have seen this coiled look in functional pottery for years, but I noticed Dan Barton using it on some of his feet on his pots quite effectively as well.
Thanks for taking time to comment!

Hey Rob,

I missed your reply to my last post, many thanks for the info. I have only just started learning about clay & working with it, there is so much to learn affraid (couldnt find a hair pulling smiley) I did a load of tests in my last firing with a couple of oxides & washes, lots more will be done in the next lot.

I really like that last pot you posted, carved half cascade, all the elements have come together really well. How big is it? And is it for sale? I can see one of my aust natives in it.

Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi Rob,
these are again very nice pots. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Best regards
Peter
peter krebs
peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:13 pm

Peter,
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I am much obliged Very Happy

Matt,
Yes this pot is for sale, but like so many other recent pots, it is not yet added to my inventory/website. If you are really interested though I can send it to you. Shipping it to Australia would probably cost as much as the pot Rolling Eyes

Please PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:30 am

Rob Addonizio wrote:This is a carved half cascade. I have done this style a few times; it sticks to me...Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-117
Rob-
This pot has a similar texture to my wife's pots (but hers are all porcelain). I don't have a pic of her stuff at the moment. Nice usage of the technique.
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:39 pm

Good looking finishes on these pots Rob.

It would appear that you have worked out some of the earlier problems you were having. Were you able to make the modifications to your gas manifold that we spoke about?

I'm glad to see that the new kiln is working out for you.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:39 am

Hi Paul, good to hear from you.

To answer your question, yes I did alter the manifold as we discussed. If have time this week I will post some pics on my blog describing the procedure.

The kiln is currently candling, and I will be glaze firing a load of large commissions tomorrow. I have been firing every weekend since we talked last. I have been keeping good notes, and I am still amazed at all the nuances and small details that go into each firing.

What can I say, Practice, practice, practice Laughing

Take care Paul,
Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:53 am

Hello again everyone,
I got a chance to photograph some pieces from my latest batch. Firing my gas kiln has been quite a challenge, but learning how to drive it has really taught me a lot in the world of atmospheric firing. Since my first firing, I have learned how to slow it down and speed it up, how to even out temperature, induce reduction, do a slow cooling. I spent the last few months firing large naturalistic slabs which stretch across the entire width of the kiln. Loading a kiln with these large shapes has been a challenge in itself, especially when it comes to evening out temperature.

Here is a slab from the group of 35 that I completed recently. All of the slabs are original, unique and hand formed.

I spent some time exploring textures and surface shapes on these slabs. There is more written on my blog about them.

Last edited by Rob Addonizio on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:02 am

Last week I finally got back to firing simpler pots to fire. Ovals and rounds allow the flame path to flow better in the kiln and the temperature evens out better between the top and bottom shelves.

Here is a medium sized oval with moderate reduction. The photo does not pick up the oranges and grey hues that the reduced atmosphere brought out in the copper glaze.

Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-111
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:04 am

A different shaped oval, same glaze, rolled feet...Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-112
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:13 am

I like seeing the same glaze over different colored stains. When I originally dipped the pot in the stain bath, some of the iron dripped on the side. The use of the copper glaze over the spill of red iron stain gave the glaze an interesting purple gray sheen.

Here's a few pots... - Page 7 2010-113

Well, I am hoping someone else likes these nuances too.

Comments anyone?
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:23 am

I like the glaze a lot...I especially like the proportions and shape of first two pots you have posted today!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Good looking pots Rob.

I can see that you are having fun with your new kiln.

As you are discovering, copper is a fun element to work with in a reduction atmosphere. You can produce wide variety of effects and colors depending on how you fire the kiln.

I look forward to seeing your new work this weekend.

Cheers,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next