European Hornbeam backbud

View previous topic View next topic Go down

European Hornbeam backbud

Post  Ryan on Sat May 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey all,

I have the opportunity to buy a rather large Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata' for a low price. The tree has a trunk size of at least 3 inches. Only problem is that all of the growth is higher up. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with chopping European Hornbeams back to stumps. I've heard that American Hornbeams backbud well, but I haven't read aything about European Hornbeams. And I know that the scar will take forever to heal since it is a smooth barked tree, but I have plenty of time, trust me. So, any input on these?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Re: European Hornbeam backbud

Post  Brett Summers on Sun May 29, 2011 1:51 am

They back bud no worries all hornbeam do as far as I know. As you seem to figure, growing out and healing the scar can take some time though.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Sun May 29, 2011 11:36 am

Brett Summers wrote:They back bud no worries all hornbeam do as far as I know. As you seem to figure, growing out and healing the scar can take some time though.

Hi Brett, thanks for the answer! It is cheap so I think I'll buy it then cut it down to see what happens.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan on Tue May 31, 2011 8:54 pm

Here is the tree, in case anyone wanted a picture:

I did reduce the rootball, but by no more than 40% and I then changed out the old soil that was removed with new fresh bonsai soil. It is in the greenhouse and I've got my fingers crossed. I did do a scratch test and there is green underneath so it is still alive.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:59 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum