Many downfalls on the way

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Many downfalls on the way

Post  Storm on Mon May 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Today to my surprise I came home from work, and went into my garden, and saw that my spruce that I recently posted didnt have a good time. Its in a wide pot, and tightly bound to the pot. The whole tree and pot had blown over by strong winds that suddenly stepped up, and the soil was out into the grass. I dont know how long it was like this, but the roots were still damp. So I hurried to place the tree straight, fill up new soil and water it thoroughly, and put it into my neighboors garage for safety.
How long do you think it would take for it to be deadly for the tree? Its candles have fully opened and they are about 1-1.5 cm long now.

Storm

Back to top Go down

Re: Many downfalls on the way

Post  John Quinn on Mon May 23, 2011 6:21 pm

If the roots had not dried out you are likely to be OK

John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Mon May 23, 2011 7:03 pm

You have my sympathy, Storm, as I too came home from work to a couple of casualties on which I had to do emergency repots.

Were the roots of your spruce completely stripped of soil or was there any root ball left at all? I was lucky enough in that the root ball was reasonably intact on both of my blow-overs, plus it had been raining hard so there was no chance the root balls could dry out.

Hope you were as lucky. Let us know if it starts showing any signs of problems please.

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos on Mon May 23, 2011 7:57 pm

signs can apear from a few days to months.

Peter

landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm on Mon May 23, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks for the replies.
It wasn't completely bare-rooted, but atleast 50% were I think. I dont know how much roots it has at the other parts in the pot.
I guess it will be fine, but just gets me a bit on my toes. So many things you have to keep in mind with this hobby! I was mostly worried at start that the trunk could have snapped. The whole tree landed initially upside down.

Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:10 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum