Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Purple leaf Crabapple

2 posters

Go down

Purple leaf Crabapple Empty Purple leaf Crabapple

Post  Randy_Davis Mon May 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Hey Gang,

Just thought some might be intrested in seeing a purple leaf Crabapple (Malus x purpurea) as they are not all that common. While needing more work, this one is looking good this spring, and oh yes, they do flower early with nice redish-purple flowers, followed by very small purple fruit.

ta ta,
Randy
Purple leaf Crabapple M_purp10
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Purple leaf Crabapple Empty Re: Purple leaf Crabapple

Post  GerhardGerber Tue May 17, 2011 3:38 pm

Why do I need to be so otherwise......love green bark, purple leaves.....anything not quite as it should be! Laughing Laughing

Very nice Randy! Cool

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Tue May 17, 2011 6:42 pm

GerhardGerber wrote:Why do I need to be so otherwise......love green bark, purple leaves.....anything not quite as it should be! Laughing Laughing

Very nice Randy! Cool

I'm with you on that one Gerhard!!!! I get tired of using and seeing the same material and want to try some new stuff. Don't dispare too much. The odd man out can often influence others to move along and experiment which helps the art form in general. I just keep plodding along and doing what I like but always seek advice from others as 2 heads are better than 1, or so they say.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Thu May 19, 2011 10:14 am

Hi Randy

One day I'll find out the Latin name for the "coffee tree" bonsai I saw at a nursery in Cape Town, then we'll have another oddly coloured plant to obsess about! Laughing

Cheers
Gerhard

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Thu May 19, 2011 1:07 pm

GerhardGerber wrote:Hi Randy

One day I'll find out the Latin name for the "coffee tree" bonsai I saw at a nursery in Cape Town, then we'll have another oddly coloured plant to obsess about! Laughing

Cheers
Gerhard

Gerhard,

The latin genus name for Coffee is "Coffea". I was suprised to find that there are many species (20-30) of this tree and more being found even today. The most common is Coffea aribica (The coffee of commerce). Someone posted something here about trying to make bonsai from it which I've always wanted to try but because I live in a northern zone it's just too darn cold here.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Thu May 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi Randy

I saw that thread, but I'm sure the 'coffee tree' label was completely misleading.
The (smooth) bark is almost black, the leaves (if memory serves) are olive drab with a hint of blue, and the 3/4/5 trees were all lovely done&dusted bonsai.

I just remembered I have a photo somewhere, will search a bit and post.

I was just about chased out of the nursery that day for taking so long to make my choice of C. Elm starters.......by Mrs. Wife Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy , from previous experience I think Mr. Husband would've chatted for another hour if I was given the chance to talk to him! Very Happy Very Happy

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down