Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this tree destined to be a broom style?

Go down

Is this tree destined to be a broom style? Empty Is this tree destined to be a broom style?

Post  Gideon Mon May 16, 2011 12:40 am

I have this straight yamadori mulberry with pretty decent taper. Is this tree stuck as being a broom style? I dont particularly like broom styles.... If you have any suggestion other than a broom, let me know please. Thanks

Is this tree destined to be a broom style? Img_1710
Gideon
Gideon

Back to top Go down

Is this tree destined to be a broom style? Empty Re: Is this tree destined to be a broom style?

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 12:58 am

Hi

Looks to me like you have at least one side branch with some girth to it, thats a start at an informal upright at the very least, try pruning back everything to one node on the top bushy part, bring that side branch into check with some pruning and see if you can get some buds to break on that trunk. I think with some back-budding and patience you could have a good tree.

When was it collected?

Back to top Go down

Is this tree destined to be a broom style? Empty Re: Is this tree destined to be a broom style?

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 1:03 am

the areas I circled in red both look suspiciously like the home of dormant potential adventitious buds. either could sprout and grow you out a nice new leader. Its tough to tell from a photo but thats my guess.
Is this tree destined to be a broom style? Img_1710

Back to top Go down

Post  Gideon Mon May 16, 2011 1:18 am

It was collected last summer, so hasn't even been in its pot for a year yet. Should I wait another year before the major pruning to force it to back bud?

man on the mountain wrote:Hi

Looks to me like you have at least one side branch with some girth to it, thats a start at an informal upright at the very least, try pruning back everything to one node on the top bushy part, bring that side branch into check with some pruning and see if you can get some buds to break on that trunk. I think with some back-budding and patience you could have a good tree.

When was it collected?
Gideon
Gideon

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 1:21 am

There are some on this forum who may disagree with this BUT..

Go Ahead! Hack it back. Mulberry are strong If its been in its pot for a year and you didn't repot it this spring I think your fine. Nows the time anyway If your gonna try and force it into back budding, Leave two leaves on every branch and see if she'll bud somewhere else. I have found wild collected trees once established for a year or so in a pot are my most vigorous growers, that Mulberry looks very healthy I say go for it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 1:25 am

try not to get too aggressive on that nice side branch, see if theres something you could use in a future design with that branch but that bushy crazy top?....cut that way back also put the trunk in the sun, not blazing hot sun, say a half day of sun. I've done a ton of Yamadori trunk chops, Most I have styled in the way I am advising you and have had great success.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 16, 2011 1:46 am

For a start, I'd go for a reduction to the lowest growth and reduce the vigour of the shoots as well. Feed well and I'm sure it will bud back really well. Mullberry's make very convincing hollow trunk trees and you have great aged bark on this one.Is this tree destined to be a broom style? Img_1710

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down