Emergency sphagnum replacement.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Emergency sphagnum replacement.

Post  NemusStipes on Sat May 14, 2011 7:05 pm

I know it is really hard to successfully air-layer a Mountain Laurel, but one of the branches on my tree is cracked and I want to attempt to save it through layering. Here's the issue, I'm fresh out of sphagnum moss. Is there anything I could use in it's place till I can get some?

Also, I think it happened just this morning because all the leaves are still dark green and the flower-buds still fresh and almost in bloom.

NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

Re: Emergency sphagnum replacement.

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Sat May 14, 2011 7:57 pm

Part of the idea is to hold moisture near the area where you want roots. Do you have a paper shredder? If you were in Florida I would suggest Spanish moss. You can use sterile potting soil.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun May 15, 2011 4:12 am

If its cracked deep enough to have injured the xylem (wood) then air layering may not be possible. Those tissues are like lengths of tiny straws delivering water and ions up from the roots to the leaves, thus sustaining your air layer while it hopefully...layers. If they have been damaged your sustaining life flow will be reduced along with your chances of success.

Back to top Go down

Post  -Brent- on Sun May 15, 2011 6:58 pm

We use palm- or coco peat on this side of the planet, which essentially performs the same function.

-Brent-

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Sun May 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Coco Peat, aka Coir can sometimes be found at orchid supply houses.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  NemusStipes on Thu May 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Because I didn't have any of those things on hand either I used ripped up paper and paper towels. So far so good. The branch is just as lively as the rest of the tree flowers are blooming at the same rate as on the rest of the tree. My mom just went out and got some sphagnum for me today, but I can't fix my make-shift job yet because it's about to storm and my mom has forbidden me to do any more bonsai in the rain. ): I'll have to fix it tomorrow.

NemusStipes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:19 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum