this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  eaton2008 on Sun May 17, 2009 10:07 am

does anyone have an idea why this tree always flowers but never has any berris??

eaton2008
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  AlainK on Sun May 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Cotoneasters are pollinezd by insects : do you apply a treatment against them on your tree, that might be at least part of the answer.
If it stays in a mainly shaded area, that might be another reason: cotoneasters need sun to make berries.
I also feel (this is based on nothing else than guess from my part) that if you overwater them, they tend to lose their fruit and grow more leaves, but this is not based on any "scientific" opinion. I think leaving the soil to dry between watering might help.

And by the way, very nice tree. I understand you feel frustrated it doesn't carry berries.

Edit : lokking again at your tree, I can see some of the leaves are grey at the end : too much water ?...

AlainK
Member


Back to top Go down

always flowers, never any berries

Post  bonsaisr on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:09 pm

It may be genetic. This is true of many plants. Do you know what variety you have? Do you have other Cotoneasters that set fruit? C. 'Tom Thumb' is known to have specimens that don't bloom or don't set fruit.
Iris

bonsaisr
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  Nik Rozman on Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:01 pm

bonsaisr wrote:It may be genetic.

This could be true. I have a wisteria for over 20 years and it didn't flower a single time (it's not styled as a bonsai).

Nik Rozman
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  Guest on Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Nik Rozman wrote:
bonsaisr wrote:It may be genetic.

This could be true. I have a wisteria for over 20 years and it didn't flower a single time (it's not styled as a bonsai).
Hello Nik. Wisteria, if grown from seed can take 30 years to bloom. Thats why there usually grafted.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  fiona on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Well now - here's a thing. All of my shohin and mame Cotoneasters have berries. None of them ever puts on flowers though. They all look extremely healthy too and suffered little in the miserable winter.

Ain't it strange.

_________________
"Espouse elucidation"
_____________________________________

my website

fiona
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  Kev Bailey on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Do I understand you correctly Fiona? Berries but no flowers? It ain't possible! The flowers may be insignificant, but without them there can be no berries.

I think Alain is probably correct. Lack of a pollinating insect is the most likely cause, in my view.

_________________
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin.

Kev Bailey
Admin


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  Nik Rozman on Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:34 pm

will baddeley wrote:
Nik Rozman wrote:
bonsaisr wrote:It may be genetic.

This could be true. I have a wisteria for over 20 years and it didn't flower a single time (it's not styled as a bonsai).
Hello Nik. Wisteria, if grown from seed can take 30 years to bloom. Thats why there usually grafted.

That's interesting. That one is grown from seed. But my other wisteria, also from seed and planted the same year, is blooming beutifully. lol!

Nik Rozman
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  fiona on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:04 am

Kev Bailey wrote:Do I understand you correctly Fiona? Berries but no flowers? It ain't possible! The flowers may be insignificant, but without them there can be no berries.
That's what I would have thought. But unless the flowers appear then disappear virtually overnight, then there has been no apparent sign of flowers. The trees are also seldom without berries. Weird or what. I shall mount a round-the-clock vigil.

_________________
"Espouse elucidation"
_____________________________________

my website

fiona
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  elroy on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:40 am

fiona wrote:
Kev Bailey wrote:Do I understand you correctly Fiona? Berries but no flowers? It ain't possible! The flowers may be insignificant, but without them there can be no berries.
That's what I would have thought. But unless the flowers appear then disappear virtually overnight, then there has been no apparent sign of flowers. The trees are also seldom without berries. Weird or what. I shall mount a round-the-clock vigil.
My cranberry cotoneaster (Cotoneaster apiculatus) has pink buds but the flowers petals are almost none existent, lasting for less than a day, then berries follow.

Elroy

elroy
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  craigw on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:39 am

Wisteria need to be propagated from wood which has flowered. It is always advisable to buy them with flower buds on them. If they are propagated from wood which hasn't flowered or from seed it will take many many years for them to flower.
Craig

craigw
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  Nik Rozman on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:21 am

eaton2008 wrote:does anyone have an idea why this tree always flowers but never has any berris??

After blooming you mustn't remove what's left of the flowers. Did you?

Nik Rozman
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:20 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum