Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

+4
Nik Rozman
bonsaisr
AlainK
eaton2008
8 posters

Go down

this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries? Empty this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  eaton2008 Sun May 17, 2009 10:07 am

does anyone have an idea why this tree always flowers but never has any berris??
this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries? DSCN8629
eaton2008
eaton2008

Back to top Go down

this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries? Empty Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  AlainK Sun May 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Cotoneasters are pollinezd by insects : do you apply a treatment against them on your tree, that might be at least part of the answer.
If it stays in a mainly shaded area, that might be another reason: cotoneasters need sun to make berries.
I also feel (this is based on nothing else than guess from my part) that if you overwater them, they tend to lose their fruit and grow more leaves, but this is not based on any "scientific" opinion. I think leaving the soil to dry between watering might help.

And by the way, very nice tree. I understand you feel frustrated it doesn't carry berries.

Edit : lokking again at your tree, I can see some of the leaves are grey at the end : too much water ?...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries? Empty always flowers, never any berries

Post  bonsaisr Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:09 pm

It may be genetic. This is true of many plants. Do you know what variety you have? Do you have other Cotoneasters that set fruit? C. 'Tom Thumb' is known to have specimens that don't bloom or don't set fruit.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries? Empty Re: this cotoneaster always flowers but never any berries?

Post  Nik Rozman Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:01 pm

bonsaisr wrote:It may be genetic.

This could be true. I have a wisteria for over 20 years and it didn't flower a single time (it's not styled as a bonsai).
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Nik Rozman wrote:

This could be true. I have a wisteria for over 20 years and it didn't flower a single time (it's not styled as a bonsai).
Hello Nik. Wisteria, if grown from seed can take 30 years to bloom. Thats why there usually grafted.

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Well now - here's a thing. All of my shohin and mame Cotoneasters have berries. None of them ever puts on flowers though. They all look extremely healthy too and suffered little in the miserable winter.

Ain't it strange.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:16 pm

Do I understand you correctly Fiona? Berries but no flowers? It ain't possible! The flowers may be insignificant, but without them there can be no berries.

I think Alain is probably correct. Lack of a pollinating insect is the most likely cause, in my view.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:34 pm

will baddeley wrote:
Nik Rozman wrote:

Hello Nik. Wisteria, if grown from seed can take 30 years to bloom. Thats why there usually grafted.

That's interesting. That one is grown from seed. But my other wisteria, also from seed and planted the same year, is blooming beutifully. lol!
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:04 am

Kev Bailey wrote:Do I understand you correctly Fiona? Berries but no flowers? It ain't possible! The flowers may be insignificant, but without them there can be no berries.
That's what I would have thought. But unless the flowers appear then disappear virtually overnight, then there has been no apparent sign of flowers. The trees are also seldom without berries. Weird or what. I shall mount a round-the-clock vigil.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  elroy Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:40 am

fiona wrote:
Kev Bailey wrote:Do I understand you correctly Fiona? Berries but no flowers? It ain't possible! The flowers may be insignificant, but without them there can be no berries.
That's what I would have thought. But unless the flowers appear then disappear virtually overnight, then there has been no apparent sign of flowers. The trees are also seldom without berries. Weird or what. I shall mount a round-the-clock vigil.
My cranberry cotoneaster (Cotoneaster apiculatus) has pink buds but the flowers petals are almost none existent, lasting for less than a day, then berries follow.

Elroy

elroy

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:39 am

Wisteria need to be propagated from wood which has flowered. It is always advisable to buy them with flower buds on them. If they are propagated from wood which hasn't flowered or from seed it will take many many years for them to flower.
Craig

craigw

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:21 am

eaton2008 wrote:does anyone have an idea why this tree always flowers but never has any berris??

After blooming you mustn't remove what's left of the flowers. Did you?
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down