Root Over Rock Trident Maple

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Root Over Rock Trident Maple

Post  Lily59 on Wed May 04, 2011 3:22 pm

I just barely got a trident maple, which I want to grow in root over rock style. The tree is very, very young. Here's what I think I need to do: plant it either in a gallon pot or in the ground for about a year and let the roots get good and long. Then remove it from the ground/pot, find the perfect rock, drape the roots and then use wide wrap to secure it, then rebury it.
What should I actually do? I live in Utah in a zone 5 winters down to about 20F for about a month. Fairly heavy snowfall. How much of the foliage am I going to trim off when I bury it?
I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

Lily59

Back to top Go down

Re: Root Over Rock Trident Maple

Post  JimLewis on Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm

Then remove it from the ground/pot, find the perfect rock, drape the roots and then use wide wrap to secure it, then rebury it.

You better "find the perfect rock" first. <g>

Your plan sounds like a good one. I would not put it back in the ground with the rock, though. A deep grow box or large pot would be best at that point.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama on Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 pm

I would also find many "perfect" rocks before playing with the roots...

I´ve found that when I unbury a tree, what I thought was the perfect rock wasn´t anywhere close for its roots and something else works better.

AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:37 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum