Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Root Over Rock Trident Maple

3 posters

Go down

Root Over Rock Trident Maple Empty Root Over Rock Trident Maple

Post  Lily59 Wed May 04, 2011 3:22 pm

I just barely got a trident maple, which I want to grow in root over rock style. The tree is very, very young. Here's what I think I need to do: plant it either in a gallon pot or in the ground for about a year and let the roots get good and long. Then remove it from the ground/pot, find the perfect rock, drape the roots and then use wide wrap to secure it, then rebury it.
What should I actually do? I live in Utah in a zone 5 winters down to about 20F for about a month. Fairly heavy snowfall. How much of the foliage am I going to trim off when I bury it?
I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

Lily59

Back to top Go down

Root Over Rock Trident Maple Empty Re: Root Over Rock Trident Maple

Post  JimLewis Wed May 04, 2011 7:22 pm

Then remove it from the ground/pot, find the perfect rock, drape the roots and then use wide wrap to secure it, then rebury it.

You better "find the perfect rock" first. <g>

Your plan sounds like a good one. I would not put it back in the ground with the rock, though. A deep grow box or large pot would be best at that point.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 pm

I would also find many "perfect" rocks before playing with the roots...

I´ve found that when I unbury a tree, what I thought was the perfect rock wasn´t anywhere close for its roots and something else works better.
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down