Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'

+2
Pavel Slovák
ericrobinson
6 posters

Go down

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Empty Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'

Post  ericrobinson Wed May 04, 2011 4:41 am

August 6th, 2007

I thought I might share a progression of a 'Wintergreen' Juniper I bought last fall (2006). I like this juniper as it has mature foliage similar to a Shimpaku. Even when I trimmed it back hard I got very little juvenile growth. It responded with a great flush of foliage when I hacked it back to establish the primary branching.

As you can see from the photos, I chopped the top into a "v" and used the stub to pull the new top upward from a former branch. The stub will become a future shari once the new apex is set.

I found inspiration for my tree from a picture in Andy Rutledge's online book Artistic Foundations of Bonsai Design. The photo is originally from Bonsai Today so I'll link to it http://www.andyrutledge.com/book/contents/challenges.htm. It is the 2nd picture down on the page.

It reminds me of the tall evergreens in Washington State near Seattle.

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe10

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe11

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe12

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe13
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Empty Re: Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'

Post  ericrobinson Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 am

August 6th, 2007

This virt is where I'd like to go with this tree next spring. The third virt (pic) is with the top of the tree straightened out more.

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe14

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe15

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe16
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Empty Re: Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'

Post  ericrobinson Wed May 04, 2011 4:47 am

October 18th, 2008

I left extra foliage on the top of the tree to help set the original chop. In the pics I've covered the top with a black piece of fabric.

pic 1 with top uncovered
pic 2 front
pic 3 right
pic 4 back

I plan to remove the top next spring...leaving a stub to make a jin. This jin will have to be made the proper size to keep it in scale as if this tree is a massive Washington state Spruce or Fir seen from a distance. There are other branch stubs on the trunk that I'll have to jin keeping them in scale as well. More refinement of branching is needed.

Repot into a bonsai pot in 2009 or 2010?
Suggestions on shape/ color/size of pot?

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe17

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe18

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe19

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe20
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Wed May 04, 2011 4:48 am

October 27th, 2009

Wanted to show a quick update on this tree. The apex is beginning to develop and I will consider repotting next spring as the top growth is rapid in the nursery pot. Thinking about an oval shallow pot in a dark brown color - planting it slightly off-center. I want to use Boon's technique to thin foliage pads instead of only pinching tips.

I did a virt of one of my pot choices (shallow oval). Another choice would be a shallow round pot. A third choice would be a slab but I want to reduce the root pad slowly over several repots so as not to be too severe and risk killing it.

There is a flare to the nebari area that is not apparent in the photos which will give the tree more appearance of age and a feeling of stability.

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_1610

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_1611
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Wed May 04, 2011 4:50 am

Found an amazing rock I think I'll use for this tree. The rock will compliment the "wild" feel of the tree.

It is 28" across, 16" wide and has a slight scoop where the tree will be planted. It even has three natural looking "feet" that it sits on. In the pics I've included you can see the arrow where the tree will be planted. As soon as I get the chance I'll do up a virt with tree and rock together...(or if someone else wants to try a virt, be my guest )

I'll do some drainage and wire holes in the bottom when I get a chance.

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_1710

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_1711
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Wed May 04, 2011 4:52 am

Quick virt (November 2009)

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Combov10
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Wed May 04, 2011 4:54 am

Sept 2010...Current condition of the tree. The second pic is a virt with fuller foliage pads. I may pot the tree on the rock next spring.

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe21

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Junipe22
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 am

I repotted this Juniper onto the rock today.

I didn't have to remove any live roots to get the tree into position! I did remove a few dead roots and old growing media that had decayed into black goo.

The first pic is the originally planned "front" of tree and rock. However, after planting the tree onto the rock, I also like the "back" (second pic) as much if not better than the "front". There is a better root flare on the "back" of the tree.

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_3515

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_3610
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Wed May 04, 2011 4:58 am

These close-up pics show extra rocks (red arrows) I added to the top of the growing media which adds more of a natural feel to the composition as if the tree is actually growing on a mountain ledge. (1st pic original front and 2nd pic is the back.) I'm not sure yet whether I'll leave the added rocks to show the tree. If I do leave the extra rocks I'll plant moss in the gaps.

I also am pondering adding a few tiny perennial plants further out from the tree so the scene is not quite as stark. "Tiny" perennials with small foliage/flowers so that the proper scale is preserved.

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_3516

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_3611
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Wed May 04, 2011 6:45 am

Hi Eric
Congratulations! Very nice progress . I really like the tree composition. ThumbsUp
Gretings Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed May 04, 2011 1:08 pm

I too think it is a very nice tree. Hoever, I'd like to see a bit more of the flare at the base.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Wed May 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks guys!

Jim, over time I'll attempt to raise the planting level to show more of the root flare.
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Very natural looking material; although, I would have ended up with a different tree if I were given the same raw material (maybe that is known as individuality).

I like the rock too... do you think the pocket of space is enough to keep the tree healthy? Also, the top area of the tree seems a little heavy, but that's an easy fix.

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:45 am

Finally ready for display at the 32nd Ohio Regional Bonsai Show at Dawes Arboretum!!

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_4810

Top seems a little heavy in the 2D pic but in person is just right!
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:06 pm

I just found some pics of my repotting of this tree in Spring 2010.

This tree was nursery-grown in peat-based growing media so the media had decayed into a black organic goo. I rinsed the roots out so that this goo would not cause root rot when I potted it up into my porous bonsai media. This tree responded very well to this treatment. (not recommeded for pines by the pine experts but I've rinsed roots with a water jet for decidous trees, Taxus, and Junipers with no ill effects)

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_2813

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_2814
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:09 pm

I performed a light rewiring and trimming back the ends of the vigorous shoots.

This cultivar of juniper backbuds powerfully from branch crotches so the trimming back of vigorous shoots this time of year (with energy stored in the roots) will provide a flurry of budding next spring.

With temps here in the 20's at night, I'll keep the tree in my unheated garage for a few weeks, with occasional misting, to recover some before putting it outside in it's sheltered area. I'll try and pick a stretch of slightly warmer weather to reintroduce the tree outside so as not to stress it too much.

Before and after pics.

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_4915

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_5010
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:20 am

Tree on display at the 33rd Ohio Regional Bonsai Show at Dawes Arboretum, June 8th-9th.

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   06081312
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:22 pm

Great summer growth after the Dawes Arboretum show in June (pic taken today, 8-30-13).

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   100_5316
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   Empty Dawes Arboretum Bonsai Show, June 2014

Post  ericrobinson Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:57 pm

Progression - Juniperus c. 'Wintergreen'   20140612
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:27 am

Very nicely developing!

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Great progression series. Looking very nice. I love tall, elegant trees like this one.

Mike
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:40 pm

awesome progression... and very beautiful tree...

however, i personally think that this styling would look better in your original pot choice: oval w/ off set-placement.
(and anyone who knows me would find that surprising  Wink )

i really really really dig the rock, i just think the rock is more suited to a wind-swept-ish,
struggling, not-super-stoked-on-its-tenuous-existence-but-making-a-go-of-it, sort of style...

but again, thats only me.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  ericrobinson Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!  Smile 
ericrobinson
ericrobinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down