Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update

Post  JimLewis on Tue May 03, 2011 4:17 pm

This is a rescue -- from a dried out potted plant left at a property we own. It had been planted in almost pure peat and didn't appear to have been watered for weeks. Pic 1 is from 2009, shortly after it was put into its new pot.

It looked like this yesterday:

I did some thinning, removed a branch or two, and here it is today:

I'm no fan of clump style bonsai, but there seems to be no other choice with his one.

Suggestions welcomed. Does it need to lose any more branches?

I don't know the species, but it seems to bud back very poorly, so I can't really shorten it much, can I?

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by JimLewis on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Re: Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update

Post  Guest on Tue May 03, 2011 10:53 pm

Jim

This is crude, but I was thinking go for a multi-trunk rather than a clump and thin out the clutter let me see through the tree 'less is more' kind of thing-but yeah this is a tough one to be sure! But there is potential there I'm sure of it. Good on you for the rescue!

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed May 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Well, I'd thought of that, but it doesn't ring my chimes, either. Chances are if I don't start liking it a bit better than I do currently it will end up "rescued" to the yard somewhere.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák on Wed May 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Jim
If Chamaecyparis pisifera, not with the growing problem. You need to constantly light between the branches and new buds will grow back in the old wood. But I look more as the Thuja occidentalis Rheingold. It would be a bigger problem with growing.

Gretings Pavel

Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin on Wed May 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi gang, I was thinking the same Pavel, but I'm a bit shy about crossing Jim, he's a real sharpshooter. I kept looking at the tree with question, my C. pisifera are blue. This Thuja looks more like Jims tree, it's an occidentalis 'Rheingold'. Beautiful recovery on the tree, Jim, and I do like clumps even though they're out of favor.

RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed May 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Well, my ID was just a guess. It could well be C.o. 'Rheingold'. It is one of the horticultural colored sports -- which I usually avoid.

I'll look more carefully at this one and see if I can find a two-trunk design in there somewhere, but I really doubt I can get backbudding down the trunks to look like anything.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Clump update

Post  JimLewis on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:39 pm

I let it grow out some more, then trimmed and wired again. After creating several virtuals, I decided on a narrower shape by eliminating several small lower branches, leaving short jins in some cases. I wired and repositioned several trunks, lowered branches, and plucked and trimmed the foliage.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:50 pm

A definite improvement, Jim! It now looks more like a clump of trees, and less like a landscape shrub. I like it.
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:19 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum