Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees

5 posters

Go down

Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Empty Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:11 am

I took some pictures of some of my trees yesterday. Comments are certainly welcome.
Best, Todd Very Happy

High Bush Blue Berry, collected, grown in my garden for 7 years, then collected again two years ago.
Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Spring10

White Pine and Ajuga accent
Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Spring11

Expose root Trident ( I started this from a cutting)
Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Spring12

Eleagnus (RussianOlive) I collected this and almost lost it after a hail storm three years ago and borers last years.
Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Spring13

Another Trident ( a gift three years ago repotted in nail head pot by me this year)
Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Spring14

Fringe Tree
Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Spring15

Shimpaku (recently wired and pruned to establish pads, second year landscape plant)
Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Spring16

Collected apple (not sure where to go with the styling yet, letting it grow out and prune later this Spring)
Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Spring17

Jap Maple seedlings (5-7 years old, first potting in bonsia pot)
Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Spring18

Lava rock Composition (I carved the rock this Winter)
Black Hills Spruce, Collected Hornbeam, Tom Thumb Cotoneaster
Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Spring19

Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Empty Re: Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees

Post  Russell Coker Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:31 pm

I really like your elaeagnus and crabapple. I'm also glad to see someone else working with Chinese fringetree (Chionanthus). I'm working on one also. Not an easy tree. What I want it to do and what it wants to do are very different things.

What ever became of your beautiful red pine bunjin? I haven't forgotten it. Wish I could find a decent pine!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees Empty Re: Spring 2011 pics of some of my trees

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Russ,
In the last photo if you look at the end of the far bench, you can see the pine. I am letting it grow this year to establish to some vigor before changing the pot. I lost a back branch this Winter after I cracked it this past Fall; live and learn. I stopped after I heard the crack, but I guess it weakened it too much. There is still plenty of foliage to work with. This year however I will feed and let it grow and leave it alone. Next year it will go into an earthenware pot. I'm hopiing a potter I met this year can make a crescent style pot for it. This Fringe tree blooms well. I have another one that doesn't bloom at all. It will never be a classic bonsai, but as Penjing it will always be pretty in the garden.
Thank you for your nice comments.
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:54 pm

What a nice garden you have, Todd!
Full of beautiful bonsai! The surroundings is also great!
Lucky people living in countryside.... I'm among the others living within concrete....
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:Hi Russ,
In the last photo if you look at the end of the far bench, you can see the pine. I am letting it grow this year to establish to some vigor before changing the pot. I lost a back branch this Winter after I cracked it this past Fall; live and learn. I stopped after I heard the crack, but I guess it weakened it too much. There is still plenty of foliage to work with. This year however I will feed and let it grow and leave it alone. Next year it will go into an earthenware pot. I'm hopiing a potter I met this year can make a crescent style pot for it. This Fringe tree blooms well. I have another one that doesn't bloom at all. It will never be a classic bonsai, but as Penjing it will always be pretty in the garden.
Thank you for your nice comments.
Best, Todd

Chionanthus are dioecious (male/female). My tree doesn't bloom well either. I'm hoping as I build more branches that will change, but I'm thinking that it's probably a male tree and just doesn't bloom as heavily as the female. That would more my luck.

I do see the pine now. You better not mess it up. Don't make me come looking for you. Twisted Evil

Forgot to mention the blueberry - cool tree!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  treeoflifebonsai Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Beautiful collection!! I especially like the one you labeled "Another Trident" Smile Where did you find those beautiful pots like the one for the Fringe Tree? I've looked online but, only dealt with a wholesale company that doesn't carry them.

treeoflifebonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Howzit Todd,

Really nice trees!! ThumbsUp Mahalo for sharing.

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue May 03, 2011 4:34 am

Thank you all for your nice comments. I forgot to reply sooner.
I buy most of my pots now on the internet. I think the Fringe's pot came from the Potomac Bonsai Association Spring Show many years ago. This particular style of Chinese pot is hard to find.
I will coddle that pine and am glad that you are fond of it Russ. It needs all of the mo-jo the universe can muster! Smile
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down