Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tall leggy Black pine

5 posters

Go down

Tall leggy Black pine Empty Tall leggy Black pine

Post  Arno Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:24 am

Ive got a fairly young BP that was given to me because it was almost dead. I put it in a new pot fertilized and watered and it looks pretty good now. The problem is its tall and leggy. My question is, I dont want a literati, can I bury the bottom with soil and root hormon and hope to get roots and build a thick wider nebari closer to where I want the base?

Arno
Arno
Arno

Back to top Go down

Tall leggy Black pine Empty Re: Tall leggy Black pine

Post  Arno Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:51 pm

Nobody has any info on this?

Arno
Arno
Arno

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Hdello Arno. It's very difficult to give an idea without a picture. Burying the trunk is probably not a good idea and the chance of the trunk rooting are slim. There maybe another solution if you show the tree.

Back to top Go down

Post  Arno Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks will for always hurmoring me Very Happy Maybe your right I should post pics with my threads to get more respnse. Im ashamed to show photo cause its young, but I just wanted an idea for the future. Whats the best way to thicken a BP.

Arno
Arno
Arno

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Hello Arno. Not a problem if it's very young. Infact you can reduce the height with wiring and twisting. Post a picture.

Back to top Go down

Post  stavros Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 pm

there is no shame to upload a picture of a young tree....do not be fooled that all of us here are grand masters Very Happy
(luckily there are some amongst the members and quite a few experienced members as well)

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  BONSAI_OUTLAW Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:03 am

Just show it.

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Back to top Go down

Post  Arno Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:32 am

Ok here ya go

Tall leggy Black pine 100_1610
Tall leggy Black pine 100_1611

So its small, and young but i want to develop it right hence the questions. Plus it was almost dead and givin to me so to recover it would be cool

Arno Very Happy
Arno
Arno

Back to top Go down

Post  BONSAI_OUTLAW Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:14 am

I see several nice little trees there, but I wouldn't do anything at all except keep feeding and watering it. I say this and I may be wrong because of where you are, but I see no candles. Mine are covered in huge candles right now. I have been taught not to work on JBP if they are not healthy.

Last edited by BONSAI_OUTLAW on Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Back to top Go down

Post  stavros Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:21 am

I live in a warm country (Cyprus) and my JB Pines grew their candles in mid-late March. They have new needles as we speak.

In any case, i agree that the tree should be left to grow for at least a year, watered/fertilised with care in order to regain its health since it was almost dead when it found its way to you. Styling should only be done only on healthy, vigorous trees.

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  Arno Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:53 am

Thanks guys

Believe it or not most of these needles are new, Like Stavros said this is warm country. I have no delusions of styling yet, But I know BP take time and patience, so I just started this thread to get some ideas so I dont make any mistakes. yes feeding, and I thought about putting it in a bigger pot not deeper just bigger Very Happy Plus I have another nicer BP and just wanna go right with them. I cant afford the big nice specimens, and Im fairly young, so I figure maybe when I retire in 20 years Ill have a nice pine to play with LOL! Razz Very Happy

Arno

BTW Stavros, (or anybody) do Black pines handle collection from the ground? There are quit a few people with old Black pines in there yards (large amount of 3rd and fourth generation japanese here) and I might hunt some urban yamadori
Arno
Arno

Back to top Go down

Post  stavros Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:26 am

Arno wrote:Thanks guys

Believe it or not most of these needles are new, Like Stavros said this is warm country. I have no delusions of styling yet, But I know BP take time and patience, so I just started this thread to get some ideas so I dont make any mistakes. yes feeding, and I thought about putting it in a bigger pot not deeper just bigger Very Happy Plus I have another nicer BP and just wanna go right with them. I cant afford the big nice specimens, and Im fairly young, so I figure maybe when I retire in 20 years Ill have a nice pine to play with LOL! Razz Very Happy

Arno

BTW Stavros, (or anybody) do Black pines handle collection from the ground? There are quit a few people with old Black pines in there yards (large amount of 3rd and fourth generation japanese here) and I might hunt some urban yamadori

i do not have any experience with collecting the specific kind, but from other species that i collect , i can safely say that if you do it at the right time (each geographic area has different microclimate), taking a good rootball and planting it in a very open inorganic mix, there should be no problem. In Cyprus for example, the winters are very mild(frost is a very rare thing), so we start after the first rain in autumnt to collect and we stop when the weather gets warmer than 25C (March).
In case you want to play safe, you can collect in 2 stages...

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:18 pm

The best way to increase the size is to plant it in the ground or a large grow box. Its still young and should bud back from the trunk and branches. Even two or three years would make a big difference.
Older garden pines can be collected if done carefully and at the right time. For you I would say Jan. or Feb. at the latest.I've moved one's that were 35+years and 12-15 feet tall.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Why that's a lovely tree,not bad at all. I wouldn't call it leggy, airy maybe, just needs to fill in some.Tall leggy Black pine Phpnyd10 this is a leggy JBP. Typical tree grown for landscaping.Tall leggy Black pine Phpf2010 I chopped the trunk at the lowest live limbs last Feb. and planted the tree in my garden to grow out. This spring there's a profusion of new candles. I haven't chosen a design yet, wasn't sure it would survive the chop, but she looks like a keeper. I'm going to grow and pinch for a couple of years till the trunk grows into the graft in the second pic. Yours is way ahead of mine as far as development, a real nice tree, lots of potential.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  stavros Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:34 pm

the only thing about using a big pot or growing box, is that you must be careful not to over-pot it, because that may cause problems....
you may have a look at this very interesting article:

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/overpot.htm

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down