Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Picea Conica

3 posters

Go down

Picea Conica Empty Picea Conica

Post  paulr9 Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi all, I'm quite new here.

I want to introduce you my picea conica. The tree was collected in 2010. Firstly I wanted to create this tree as a sokan and I tried to form this tree in this way. Now I have some doubts about that. I think about making a deadwood from the smaller trunk.
What do you think about this tree?

2010 after collecting
Picea Conica 6m10

2010 first forming
Picea Conica P1010611

Picea Conica P1010711

Picea Conica P1010712

paulr9

Back to top Go down

Picea Conica Empty Re: Picea Conica

Post  Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:36 am

I would shorten that smaller trunk and eliminate branches that cross the other trunk on each tree respectively (back branches excepted) then rotate the planting so that one trunk is ahead of the other visually, that gets rid of the slingshot look. Also aim to style the two trees as ONE tree so that the branches facing outward from the smaller trunk become the number two branch of the larger trunk ..try and sculpt it as though its a single trunked tree. If that makes any sense, don't jin yet, keep working you can always give up and jin later!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:40 am

This is a really rough Idea but helps to get the point across of what I was trying to say, picture's worth 1000 words etc.
Picea Conica P1010710

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 am

Hi Paulr9,
Picea Conica looks interesting but in reality is not good for bonsai.
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  paulr9 Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:19 pm

I know that conica is not good for bonsai, but I had opportunity to get this tree and I decided to take it. Maybe in the future I will have interesting tree. We will see.

paulr9

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:45 am

In Herb Gustafson's excellent book "The Bonsai Workshop" He creates an informal upright, and a group planting using Picea glauca conica. If Picea conica and Picea glauca conica are the same plant then someone should write to Gustafson and let him know those aren't suitable for bonsai..In all seriousness Most any woody plant can be shaped into a pleasing tree, I've seen Rosemary and even a Thyme (in Walter Palls collection) that were amazing and they are not generally used for bonsai. Its up to the artist to create the Bonsai dont let yourself be limited to whats good and suposedly "not good" for bonsai!

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:58 am

Hi
Today AlainK showed on the bonsai tread his Picea, nice to read this true.
Picea Conica Glauca is not a different tree, Glauca is a sort with blue needles.
When you use young Picea Conica they look like instant bonsai so nice as a group planting like many dwarf species.
When i started bonsai i could'nt resist a Picea Conica Glauca with a impressive taper from a normal nursery.
I also new at the time they where not recommended for bonsai but still i started with the tree.
I wired all branches down after removing a lot of them, it takes -years- before they will stay at the desired angle.
And then of course the back budding, they do not like to be opened for some light and back budding,
in short after three years he started to die off.
Now i have only two normal Picea seedlings out of my garden in training, they do well.
About Rosemary and Thyme; they really do not like to be repotted and worked on their roots i believe.
So all maybe possible but not easy?
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:20 pm

sunip-

you put your finger right on it..

"all may be possible but not easy"

Back to top Go down

Picea Conica Empty Spruce, blue, white, dwarf

Post  RKatzin Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:52 am

Ok just for clarity, Picea glauca aka white spruce, Picea glauca conica aka dwarf white spruce, specifically, Dwarf Alberta Spruce. The blues are Picea pungens, Colorado Blue Spruce. I have a globosa, which is a dwarf Colorado Blue, besides Engelman, Brewer and I think my 'Little Gem' is a Picea abies dwarf. Spruce are not difficult, they're just different. Once you learn their particulars they respond very well. Sorry to disagree, but I'm going to anyway. The most common cause of die back is congestion in the branches and they need to be thinned to allow light and air into the inner parts of the tree. When trimmed properly a spruce will backbud abundantly, even on the trunk on vigorously growing trees. Spruce are cold country trees and need cold winters to remain healthy. They will expire if winter temps remain above 68F for too many years running. I'm a big spruce fan Laughing I'll buy a spruce right now! There's still a few I'd like to get my hands on just to round out my collection. All good things in all good time.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Picea Conica Empty Spruce, blue, white, dwarf

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:01 am

RKatzin wrote:Ok just for clarity, Picea glauca aka white spruce, Picea glauca conica aka dwarf white spruce, specifically, Dwarf Alberta Spruce. The blues are Picea pungens, Colorado Blue Spruce. I have a globosa, which is a dwarf Colorado Blue, besides Engelman, Brewer and I think my 'Little Gem' is a Picea abies dwarf. Spruce are not difficult, they're just different. Once you learn their particulars they respond very well. Sorry to disagree, but I'm going to anyway. The most common cause of die back is congestion in the branches and they need to be thinned to allow light and air into the inner parts of the tree. When trimmed properly a spruce will backbud abundantly, even on the trunk on vigorously growing trees. Spruce are cold country trees and need cold winters to remain healthy. They will expire if winter temps remain above 68F for too many years running. I'm a big spruce fan Laughing I'll buy a spruce right now! There's still a few I'd like to get my hands on just to round out my collection. All good things in all good time.

I would love to see your collection and the different varieties.

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:08 am

I'll get some pics if it ever quits raining Laughing
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:14 am

I too would like to see your collection, particulary the dwarf Colorado blue.

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:58 am

Hi Paulr9
The Bonsai4me species guide gives some good advise on spruce.
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  paulr9 Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:54 pm

Thanks Sunip.
I read this some time ago but I see that I will have to get back to this guide.

paulr9

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down