Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER

+3
moyogijohn
mbolos
mike page
7 posters

Go down

TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER Empty TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER

Post  mike page Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:58 pm

This is my favorite Cal Jun because of the 360 degree twist in the trunk from bottom to top. I try to imagine the force of nature that made it grow this way, The height from pot rim is about 41 inches. The pot is by Dale Cochoy. I've been preping it for upcoming shows.
TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER Z-twis10
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER Empty Re: TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER

Post  mbolos Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:16 pm

That's some beautiful movement. Do you have any photos of the tree's progression?

mbolos

Back to top Go down

TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER Empty Tall california juniper

Post  moyogijohn Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Mike,,all your trees look very nice!!! I know you have to spend a lot of pain stacking time working on them..it is show ready!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER Empty TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER

Post  Guest Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Hello Mike. No doubt about the stunning twist on the trunk. It's magical. The foliage for me is not reflecting the age and distress of this tree and has little aged structure. By bringing the bottom branch down, I think a more mature image will be achieved. Sorry about the bad sketch.TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER Z-twis10

Back to top Go down

Post  mbolos Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:01 am

It does seem to be your style to maintain a flat plain of foliage that runs parallel to the ground. I do think a little fine wiring could make the tree look more mature. Will, is this what you were thinking? (as always, I apologize for my terrible virtuals, I don't own photoshop).

TALL CALIFORNIA JUNIPER Will10

mbolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:23 am

Yes Mike thats much more like it. Idea

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:01 am

Mike, looking good. Your photo needs something for scale. Big tree/pot.
You REALLY use some big aggregate! It makes the photo look like a shohin! Very Happy
I would love to see this in a show. Is it going to the Cow Palace?

Dale
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:54 am

Wow one of the best bonsai I've seen( to my eyes at least ). I love unique deadwood bonsai. I do agree with the foliage though little work and it'll look super old
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi Mike,
I love your Juniper. The foliage pads do need layers to enhance the age. You have your flat pads style; I tend to make curvy contrived branches. Its part of the learning curve I think. Most bonsai people tend to favor a styling pattern. Some are better at it than others. I'm trying tobecome more naturalistic in my work.
The glaze on your (Dale's) pot looks like a desert. Perfect for your tree! I like the contrast of bark to deadwood!
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:53 pm

Great trunk movement. But Dale is right - the tree needs some sort of a reference point to give an indication of its true size. It wasn't until I saw it on another site that I realised it wasn't a chuhin or shohin and that's to its detriment. And curiously, somehow, the foliage looks less "flat" when you consider that this tree is 41" in height, although I too (personal opinion only) would prefer more in the way of defined pads.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down