Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I missed one

+2
xuan le
JimLewis
6 posters

Go down

I missed one Empty I missed one

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:31 pm

I'd debudded this one for 2011 to give it a break from blooming. I guess I missed a bud. It is very early for a Satsuki to bloom around here.

[url=https://servimg.com/view/13427896/586]I missed one Azalea12
[/url]
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

I missed one Empty Re: I missed one

Post  xuan le Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:34 pm

Nice looking tree, do you know what variety it is?
It looks like my Sasuki won't bloom at least for a few more weeks.

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:44 pm

xuan le wrote:Nice looking tree, do you know what variety it is?

Thanks. It has a bit of reverse taper at the base, but it's getting better.

Nope, I have no idea. Picked it up when "the Great American Bonsai Company" in Ocala, FL was moving (is it still around there somewhere?), and the owner had lost the labels. I've looked through several Satsuki books. There are several with single, orange-red, smallish flowers.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

I missed one Empty I Missed one

Post  moyogijohn Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:01 pm

JIM,,I am glad you missed that one!! a very nice tree..all of your trees seem to be doing really good... all it does up here is rain but mine don,t look too bad...good TREE....Take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Jim,
very nice bonsai. The one flower really sets it off.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:31 pm

I have a couple of Satsuki starting to bloom too...mebbe a pic tomorrow! Nice.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:50 am

Jim-

I'm running into a lot of inverse taper in azaleas, Both in my own trees under development and out at various landscape nursery's You probably know more than I about them, do you think this is rather common among the species? Could it be due to the low branching habit as opposed to a more standard apex forming habit I'm used to with other trees?

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:00 pm

I haven't given it too much thought. This is the only one I have in which it is that obvious. Perhaps it "stems" from the fact that azaleas want to be multi-stemmed, and we prune them down to one????????

I used to have to disguise this one with a stone. A slight change in planting angle -- and some age -- has made that less necessary. Too much is made of the evils of reverse taper in bonsai, anyway; you see it all the time in lovely trees in nature, so a bit of it in a bonsai has never bothered me, but some folks throw up their hands in horror at the least sign of a bulge in the trunk.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Azaleas aren't trees. That needs to be remembered. If azaleas weren't native to Japan, they would never be associated with bonsai.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Glaucus wrote:Azaleas aren't trees.

I'm not sure what point you are making. Quite a few plants used for bonsai aren't "trees" in their natural state.

If azaleas weren't native to Japan, they would never be associated with bonsai.

Oh, I doubt that.

Azaleas (Genus Rhododendron) are a world-wide Genus -- both as azalea and Rhododendron forms. There are azaleas (and Rhododendron) native througout Asia, and in the eastern USA (and maybe out west, too, though I only know the wild Rhododendrons from the Pacific Northwest. Some are native to Australia and New Guinea, too. The Japanese have spent much time and effort developing the Satsuki, Kurume and other azalea strains into many different varieties and cultivars -- and mostly for purposes other than just bonsai.

But again, I don't know what that has to do with this "tree"-shaped bonsai and inverse taper.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:32 pm

There's like 57 section tsutsuji species in China. Almost all are only mentioned in a handful of papers about plant hunting expeditions and their findings.
I know of only one person that ever hybridized evergreen azalea in China.

About 16 are native to Japan, many of them cultivated. Then there's a handful outside these two countries in Taiwan and Korea. And that's it.

If you don't think that azalea not being trees is the reason why they don't naturally grow to be tree-like, then what do you think is the reason?
They are basally dominant. Trees are apically dominant. Different evolutionary strategy.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down