Malus sargentii 'Tina'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Malus sargentii 'Tina'

Post  bonsaisr on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:13 pm

As if the Prunus hassle weren't enough, the RHS suggests that 'Tina' may actually be a cultivar of M. toringo. Be that as it may, I got one in the same shipment with Okame. It is a little more substantial, but still needs to go in the ground for a year.
My main question, same as with Okame, anybody got any decent photos of it as a bonsai? Any suggestions for bonsai treatment different from my 'Indian Summer,' which is a pushover? Bite your tongue. If I say that, it might drop dead on me.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Re: Malus sargentii 'Tina'

Post  Randy_Davis on Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Iris,

Here is a link to an image of M. sargentii that is part of the US National collection in Washington DC.

http://absbonsai.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=12&pid=438#top_display_media

Enjoy,
Randy

Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Malus sargentii 'Tina'

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Apparently M. sargentii and M. sieboldii may be the same thing. Mine has a similar base. The fact that it survives in the national collection means it can stand hot summers.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis on Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:17 pm

bonsaisr wrote:Apparently M. sargentii and M. sieboldii may be the same thing. Mine has a similar base. The fact that it survives in the national collection means it can stand hot summers.
Iris

oops!!!! that was my mistake Iris! It is M. sieboldii. You should have no problem growing it in your area at all. I'd just be watchfull for Cedar/Apple rust.

Randy

Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Randy_Davis wrote:I'd just be watchfull for Cedar/Apple rust.

Randy
Yes, and one needs to start spraying early.

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:51 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum