BIRTH OF THE UNIVERSE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BIRTH OF THE UNIVERSE

Post  mike page on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:27 pm

The title of the topic is the name I have given to this stone. When I first saw it, it made me think of the grand explosion the created the universe billions of years ago. Height including the base is about 12 inches.

mike page

Back to top Go down

Re: BIRTH OF THE UNIVERSE

Post  mike page on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:46 pm

I went through my stand collection and decided on this one. It's the first stand I purchased back around 1976-77. I'll use it to display the stone at my next club show.

mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Youngwirth09 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:02 am

thats pretty cool
jon

Youngwirth09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:56 am

Hi Mike Page

Impressive collourstone, with a lot of drama.....I would like to see it one day in an exhibition.
The stand works Smile

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:43 am

Is this the same stone you posted last year on November 17 titled "RIVER STONE"?

Regards,
Alex

ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Great catch, Alex. I recalled seeing the stone but didn't realize the image was in relatively recent IBC archives. Mike's haiku in the earlier post supports the stone's latest naming well:
out of the blackness
universe birth exploding
beginning of time
Do you have a better photo and description of the stone's seat, Mike? It appears composed of two parts.

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page on Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Chris Cochrane wrote:Great catch, Alex. I recalled seeing the stone but didn't realize the image was in relatively recent IBC archives. Mike's haiku in the earlier post supports the stone's latest naming well:
out of the blackness
universe birth exploding
beginning of time
Do you have a better photo and description of the stone's seat, Mike? It appears composed of two parts.

Hi Chris
I have 2 photos that show how the stone is supported in the pot.
To make the support, I wrapped the base of the stone with kitchen foil, and then braced it in the pot. The support rod was taped to the back of the stone and extended through a drain hole to the table. I mixed some fast setting cement, POURSTONE, plugged the pot drain holes and poured it in. After a half hour it was set and I removed the stone.
The first image shows the pot with the support rod. The second shows the back of the stone and how its attached to the rod.

mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Display using the stone.

mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:19 am

Hi Mike,
Is this something new in mounting a stone Question Hmmm looks a bit odd to me for it might be unstable,first time to encounter it,still learning on my side,thanks for sharing it mike
Kind regards,
Alex/Ogie Smile

ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page on Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:57 pm

ogie wrote:Hi Mike,
Is this something new in mounting a stone Question Hmmm looks a bit odd to me for it might be unstable,first time to encounter it,still learning on my side,thanks for sharing it mike
Kind regards,
Alex/Ogie Smile

Hi Alex
I guess you could say this is "something new". I didn't want to cut the stone and thereby destroy something unusual that Nature had created, so I came up with this idea. It shows all but a small part of the bottom of the stone, and is stable. The cement I poured in the pot to create the base adds weight, and also stability.
The image shows the whole stone.

mike page

Back to top Go down

Big Bang!

Post  Alan Walker on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:18 am

大きい強打!
Cool

Alan Walker

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Hi Mike... You knew the mounting would be controversial, yet shared it plainly & generously. Thanks, it helps us consider options.

The display is very elegant with the well-chosen, plain, tall stand, the plain-font text on the scroll board & subtly supportive color in the accent planting. It is engaging due to strong focus on the display's primary object-- the impressive stone.

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page on Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:51 pm

Chris Cochrane wrote:Hi Mike... You knew the mounting would be controversial, yet shared it plainly & generously. Thanks, it helps us consider options.

The display is very elegant with the well-chosen, plain, tall stand, the plain-font text on the scroll board & subtly supportive color in the accent planting. It is engaging due to strong focus on the display's primary object-- the impressive stone.

Hi Chris
Many thanks for you're very kind comments. Much appreciated.

Mike

mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie on Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:59 pm

Hi Alex
I guess you could say this is "something new". I didn't want to cut the stone and thereby destroy something unusual that Nature had created, so I came up with this idea. It shows all but a small part of the bottom of the stone, and is stable. The cement I poured in the pot to create the base adds weight, and also stability.

Hi Mike,
Again Mike i like the feature of your stone very nice,your mounting is new to me but your sense of taste for stones is very creative,Thank for sharing
Regards,
Alex Very Happy

ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:41 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum