Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Protuding Roots

3 posters

Go down

Protuding Roots Empty Protuding Roots

Post  ongkmeng Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:48 am

Do I need to prune off those protruding root if I repot ? If not, how should I make them more sightly ?

Protuding Roots 5634238268_a222981b32
Protuding Roots 5634237484_c643d09daf

Protuding Roots 5633656049_d570305b22
Protuding Roots 5633656607_95f4df7799
[img][/img]

ongkmeng

Back to top Go down

Protuding Roots Empty Re: Protuding Roots

Post  GerhardGerber Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:22 am

Hi

If you'll excuse me for saying so, those roots don't look that great.

Most likely you can't simply cut them off. You'll have to plant it deeper, get new feeder roots on the top part of the root system (the part above ground) and get rid of the lower part of the root system.

*****ALL****** dependent on the species of the trees.

I'm guessing most of the more knowledgeable people around here will suggest a ground layer.

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:33 pm

It looks to me like you have already taken a good number of those roots away. your first two pics in the round pot show a really intense root system while the next two in the rectangular pot seems like a lot of that tangly mass is missing. Or am I mistaken? At this point an air layer might work for you it would also give you a chance to shorten that tall trunk to a more proportional height. But I gotta admit I kinda liked all those crazy roots in the first pics. Gave it a washed away root look like a tree desperately trying to survive periodic flooding, I have a Ficus nerifolia that has a spaghetti dinner plate worth of large roots at its base and, though not truly conforming to the rules of bonsai, are the feature that draws the most comments when others see the tree.

Back to top Go down

Post  ongkmeng Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:25 am

Both are wrightia religiosa.

Yes, I have cut off some thick roots from the one the rectangular pot, which I have regretted. I will get a deeper pot to plant it bury it more to ground layer the roots.

Regarding the air-layering to shorten the height, I would love to do it. But I am holding it back becos both plants are passed over to me from my father-in-law and will not probably not do it now.

ongkmeng

Back to top Go down

Post  PkWk Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:49 am

Hi Ong
It's ok for Wrightia Religiosa to cut off some of the top and bottom roots. As long as there is sufficient feeder roots (say 50% left) the tree will certainly survive.
I got a Wrightia looked almost similar like yours initially. I cut off almost all the aerial roots and some bottom roots and also the whole trunk leaving only about 9 ins above ground. Almost 8 months now it is growing well and turn out to be quite expected. Wrightia is a tough species it will survive as long as there is plenty of water and sun shine.
Here is a photo of my tree. It will be left to grow for another year before further shaping.
Protuding Roots Img_4113

PkWk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down