Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus styling

4 posters

Go down

Ficus styling Empty Ficus styling

Post  delgadodan Wed May 13, 2009 2:06 am

I was given this ficus as a gift. I was thinking, since the trunk shape is kind of awkward, maybe chopping it before it curves up and trying to go for a semi cascade style would be the best option. I appreciate any advice, ideas, etc. in regards to the styling of this tree.

Ficus styling Boys%20Sleepover%20%26%20los%20chicos%205-2-09%20008

Thanks

delgadodan

Back to top Go down

Ficus styling Empty Re: Ficus styling

Post  Carolee Thu May 14, 2009 11:55 pm

Here's a very poor virtural of your ficus showing the semi-cascade. Since ficus is very good at back-budding you should be able to do what you want. One of the things you might want to try before chopping is to tilt the pot and see what other options you might have for styling. I too have never cared for the extreme right-angles of the 'bonsais' made for sale. I have had much success growing ficus with the clip and grow system. Good luck.

Ficus styling Ficus_10
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri May 15, 2009 12:11 am

But F. benjamina doesn't backbud TOO well, so be careful.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Fri May 15, 2009 1:05 am

Thanks, Jim
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  delgadodan Fri May 15, 2009 2:37 pm

Thanks Carolee and Jim. Carolee I really appreciate you coming up w/ that virtual, looks good. I think I might be going w/ that. I'm not sure what you mean by tilting the pot for more options? Thanks for your tips.- Jim, I don't think my tree is a benjamina, I think it a retusa...

delgadodan

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Fri May 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Cover your soil so that the dirt doesn't fall out, and then move the bottom at various angles to check out other views/positions for your tree. It looks like your tree is small enough you could do this just by holding the pot. If you find an angle that looks good (for a semi-cascade you would be tilting it at more than a 45 degree angle), put something under it so that you can look at it from a distance. If you like it, keep it at this angle while styling. When you repot, repot the tree at this angle. Here's a picture taken from this web site.

Ficus styling 03f1011
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Ficus styling Empty ficus shaping

Post  moyogi john Mon May 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Unless you like cascade trees,i would check the root spread,look good at your limbs maybe you could have a nice informal upright with some wiring and pruning... maybe a little larger pot for some root space..only my opion..john

moyogi john

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down