A couple of pics of my English Elm

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Harleyrider on Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Nothing special so far, but I just wanted to post these to let Will see that I'm looking after it!

This is my (eventual) front.

That's a Will Baddely original pot, btw. I like it.

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Re: A couple of pics of my English Elm

Post  landerloos on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Where did I see that tree before? Wink
I remember a lott of ideas and talks over it.
Peter

landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  F. Waheedy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Thats a beautiful tree, Steve. and I love the pot.
Who is the pot from?

F. Waheedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:12 pm

@ Landerloos. Yes, it's the one I took to Burrs last year mate. After all the discussions about its future direction, it's a pity no-one mentioned that they grow like triffids! I'm thinking of employing someone just to stand next to it and hack the new growth off it as it appears!

@ Faisal. The pot is one made by Will's own fair hand. I love it and am prepared to resort to fisticuffs if he asks for it back!

@ Will. Did you get the new glaze recipe book you wanted for Christmas? If so, when can we expect to see a new batch of pots?

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Hello Steve. Glad to see th Elm is thriving. You took it to BURRS for discussion I take it. What ideas did you come up with?
I did get some glaze books for Crimbo but haven't had the opportunity to fire up old sparky this year. It's on the cards though.

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Harleyrider wrote:@ Landerloos. Yes, it's the one I took to Burrs last year mate. After all the discussions about its future direction, it's a pity no-one mentioned that they grow like triffids! I'm thinking of employing someone just to stand next to it and hack the new growth off it as it appears!

@ Faisal. The pot is one made by Will's own fair hand. I love it and am prepared to resort to fisticuffs if he asks for it back!

@ Will. Did you get the new glaze recipe book you wanted for Christmas? If so, when can we expect to see a new batch of pots?

Hire me hire me, I need a job!

landerloos

Back to top Go down

couple of pics of english elm

Post  moyogijohn on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:51 pm

you got a very nice elm!! i also love the pot...do you plan to cover the roots on the right side?? this will make a very nice tree... I LOVE ELMS. GOOD WORK TAKE CARE JOHN

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments folks.

@ Will & Moyogijohn: After much discussion at Burrs, it was decided to remove the smaller trunk that grew from what is now the back right side of the tree, thus scrapping my original idea of a mother/daughter style. By rotating the front around 30 degrees anticlockwise a much more powerful image appeared that hid the secondary trunk, so it was removed in short order.
I was also quite keen to keep the big lump of wood that projects from the base of the main trunk as it is so gnarled and 'old looking', but was convinced by several wiser heads to remove it at the next repotting as it will allow me to use a much smaller pot. I think I may try to carve a part of it to add extra weight to the nebari though. Kind of a root that isn't a root, really. Other than that, the only other job I want to do is 'naturalising' the hollow in the main trunk, as it looks very much like a drill hole at the moment.

Here's a not very good sketch of what the end result may look like. Apologies for the rough quality but I only have MS Paint to work with. I'd appreciate your thoughts/comments/suggestions/virtuals.

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:59 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum