__spike_____

View previous topic View next topic Go down

__spike_____

Post  jonathan e on Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:16 pm

Juniper, from auctioned nursery stock. Just needs to puff out a bit. A weaponized bonsai.

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Re: __spike_____

Post  Todd Ellis on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:11 am

Cool! ThumbsUp

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:25 am

A very interesting tree and a very interesting styling indeed. Not something that I have seen as a bonsai but seen quiet a few such pics of trees in nature. It sure is nice to see when Bonsai is being what it is supposed to be - a replica of nature..... such a rarity these days.....

Ravi

Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:44 pm

I love the deadwood... looks very natural.

The live trunk needs to lean a little to the right (away from the deadwood) not only to balance the tree, but also to make the tree look more natural.

Wiring may not do the trick since the trunk seems a little stiff... I would recommend maybe using one of those bending tools (can't remember the name) placing it between the deadwood and the trunk, and twist to push them apart.

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan e on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:15 am

Suburbia,
Actually, amusingly enough, i have spent a great deal of time and effort to bend the live trunk closer to the deadwood so that they operate as a single entity. I see your point about visual balance, but i think that having the whole tree lean in a single direction makes it more dynamic.

thanks all for the appreciation,
-jonathan

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan e on Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:58 am

Ravi Kiran wrote:A very interesting tree and a very interesting styling indeed. Not something that I have seen as a bonsai but seen quiet a few such pics of trees in nature. It sure is nice to see when Bonsai is being what it is supposed to be - a replica of nature..... such a rarity these days.....

Ravi

Thanks! I was inspired by the monstrous old junipers and redcedars in the Sierra Nevada in Eastern California. This (although not a native juniper) is my attempt at capturing something of that image.

-jonathan

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:20 am

suburbia wrote: The live trunk needs to lean a little to the right (away from the deadwood) not only to balance the tree, but also to make the tree look more natural.
I love the dramatic effect of this tree and personally wouldn't elect to do this as I think it would give it a slingshot appearance. If there was to be any movement away from its current position then a very slight, almost imperceptible, lean of the very top section away from the trunk might achieve what Suburbia suggests about the balance.

My own initial thought was that I would grow some of the foliage on the live trunk round the back of the deadwood one and on a closer inspection I notice that you already have a few wisps peeking out to the left from behind. Was this something you are planning on doing as part of the "puffing out" process, Jonathan?

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:25 am

fiona wrote:
suburbia wrote: The live trunk needs to lean a little to the right (away from the deadwood) not only to balance the tree, but also to make the tree look more natural.
I love the dramatic effect of this tree and personally wouldn't elect to do this as I think it would give it a slingshot appearance. If there was to be any movement away from its current position then a very slight, almost imperceptible, lean of the very top section away from the trunk might achieve what Suburbia suggests about the balance.

My own initial thought was that I would grow some of the foliage on the live trunk round the back of the deadwood one and on a closer inspection I notice that you already have a few wisps peeking out to the left from behind. Was this something you are planning on doing as part of the "puffing out" process, Jonathan?

I do agree completly with Fi here, I look at the picture and want to shout TIIIIIIIIIIIIMBER
kind regards
Peter

landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:46 am

I don't always like to do this when it is not requested (especially if the recipient is probably streets better at bonsai than I am) but I was fighting the demon Insomnia overnight and had a wee tinker about with some virtuals. Hope you don't mind.
And of course please bear in mind I am as bad at virts as I am at bonsai. Sad

puffing out including some foliage behind the deadwood trunk (and trying - possibly not succeeding - to make it too pine-like)

With a slight lean away at the top?

or just remove the topmost section to give a squat powerful image?

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan e on Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Fiona,

I like the results of your virtuals. The tree does indeed need some more balance. I actually think your idea to remove the top and give a "squat, powerful, image" works well. I have been planning something like this as a possibility, but haven't had the gall to hack the top more and set the tree back a couple of years. Shortening the live top has the added benefit of making the deadwood spike look even taller and more vicious.

-jonathan

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:00 pm

When you've finished the work, can I borrow it please? I have a few badly-behaved students I'd like to throw it at, but I suspect its very presence in the classroom would be a sufficient deterrent. Twisted Evil

my website

fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan e on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:50 pm

fiona wrote:When you've finished the work, can I borrow it please? I have a few badly-behaved students I'd like to throw it at, but I suspect its very presence in the classroom would be a sufficient deterrent. Twisted Evil

i think the shipping rates from california to scotland and back might be a little steep...

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum