Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Voodoo Lilly

5 posters

Go down

Voodoo Lilly Empty Voodoo Lilly

Post  Ed Spaans Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:44 am

Hi All:
I dig these bulbs every fall. They are from the Himalaya area. The flower's "perfume" leaves something to be desired, since I understand that they are fertilized by flies.
Voodoo Lilly Dcp_2510

Ed. Spaans

Ed Spaans

Back to top Go down

Voodoo Lilly Empty Re: Voodoo Lilly

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:21 am

This is an Amorphophallus. I have Amorphophallus bulbifera, it produces small bubs at each leaf axis. When mine blooms it usually only stinks for a few hours. There is a very large variety that some botanic gardens have that stinks for days.
Voodoo Lilly Img_2912
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:17 am

Yep, that's A. konjac. Smells terrible. I had a bunch and dug them up and sold them on ebay. They kinda take over down here. I had a friend where I lived in Japan whose family grew fiends of them. They'd wash and boil the tubers, then grind them into a mash, add some other nasty things and let it gel into blocks. Then it was slice and eaten as "sashimi". Like chewing on a piece of gristle. It is called "konyaku", I still have bad dreams about it.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:32 am

I have a vodoo lilly aswell, first time though, can it survive winter outside, we have temp. down to -16c in winter?

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:15 am

landerloos wrote:I have a vodoo lilly aswell, first time though, can it survive winter outside, we have temp. down to -16c in winter?

Peter

I don't think so. The plant goes dormant and the bulb can be lifted and taken inside. I grow mine in pots even in Florida for this reason.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:09 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
landerloos wrote:I have a vodoo lilly aswell, first time though, can it survive winter outside, we have temp. down to -16c in winter?

Peter

I don't think so. The plant goes dormant and the bulb can be lifted and taken inside. I grow mine in pots even in Florida for this reason.

Ok thx Billy, was asking because i did read somewhere that they a growing like weeds. Tibet is quiet cold aswell I geuss.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed Spaans Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:58 pm

Whatever way "conjac" is spelled, it couldn't be bad one would hope. These will stink for days however. Evil or Very Mad In regard to overwintering: I have some growing at the north side within two feet of the house. Those I have not dug up for a decade or more. It gets down to 0F, -20C every once in a while. Generally they are under a blanket of snow, which may insulate them pretty well. They make nice umbrellas in the summer. Propagation is through offsets growing on "handles" attached to the main bulb.

Ed.

Ed Spaans

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:19 am

landerloos wrote:
Billy M. Rhodes wrote:

Peter

Ok thx Billy, was asking because i did read somewhere that they a growing like weeds. Tibet is quiet cold aswell I geuss.

Peter

Peter, it really depends on the species. Most Amorphophallus are very tropical and cold sensitive. A. konjac is neither. A. bulbifer, as Billy shows, is easy and pretty hardy too.

Billy, that's probably a bit over cautious, but they are very susceptible to staying too wet and rotting when they're dormant. To make it worse, some can be stored dry for the winter, and others can't.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  medanum6298 Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:58 am

I'm new in here, Hope to enjoy this forum.

medanum6298

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum