Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slim Pair (Liquidambar)

+2
Zach Smith
jonathan e
6 posters

Go down

Slim Pair (Liquidambar) Empty Slim Pair (Liquidambar)

Post  jonathan e Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:38 pm

A slim twin trunk Liquidambar from two saplings. The branches still have a long way to go...
Slim Pair (Liquidambar) Img_5512
Slim Pair (Liquidambar) Img_5513

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Slim Pair (Liquidambar) Empty Re: Slim Pair (Liquidambar)

Post  Zach Smith Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:55 pm

jonathan e wrote:A slim twin trunk Liquidambar from two saplings. The branches still have a long way to go...
Nice composition, Jonathan. I personally love sweetgums.

Keep us posted as this one progresses.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:42 am

Good job here, too, but the difficulty of getting anything like taper in these trees is clearly evident.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan e Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:05 am

Liquidambar are indeed challenging. I don't think I'll be getting more, unless some amazing material falls in my lap. My current sweetgums certainly didn't start as amazing material, but were certainly educational. I love the few i have, but i think i will focus on more amenable material in the future. Thanks all for their appreciation.

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:26 am

jonathan e wrote:Liquidambar are indeed challenging. I don't think I'll be getting more, unless some amazing material falls in my lap. My current sweetgums certainly didn't start as amazing material, but were certainly educational. I love the few i have, but i think i will focus on more amenable material in the future. Thanks all for their appreciation.

I gave up on a L. Orientalis, and I recently killed 5 L. Styraciflua shortly after buying them - I have now given up on that whole family! Laughing

Based on my experience I salute you and your tree! cheers

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:14 pm

You might not want to totally give up on them. This one is no longer with us (it was a Florida tree that didn't care for our colder winters) but I had it for several years and it was coming along nicely. (About 22 inches)

Slim Pair (Liquidambar) Sweetg10

Slim Pair (Liquidambar) Liquid10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:02 pm

The slender trunks look nice and the hollows on them add character. Like to see how much ramification you can develop.

It's too hot where I live in Florida for them so I'll just admire yours.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan e Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:18 am

thanks all. Don't worry, i don't plan on giving up on my current sweetgums, just don't plan to seek out any more. I'm surprised to hear from Robert that there is anywhere can be possibly be to hot for sweetgum. They seem to me like they could grow in a oven if they were watered often enough.

-jonathan

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi Jim

You posted that pic (and others) following my question, can't even remember which forum it was! Laughing (Thanks BTW)

I bought 2 L. Orientalis following that, one survived but never flourished.

A bonsai buddy bought some at the time as well, 2 were gifts and planted in gardens, they're doing great, but they don't like living in pots here.
My longest survivor was planted in a pond basket and definately got enough water, put it in the shade and it doesn't grow, dare put it in the sun and the leaves shrivel up. I have to add I moved to one of the hottest parts (desert) of our country at a critical point in it's life, I don't think that helped.....

I wanted them as maple alternatives, given up, sticking to Elms!
Very Happy

Cheers
Gerhard

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:37 pm

jonathan e wrote:thanks all. Don't worry, i don't plan on giving up on my current sweetgums, just don't plan to seek out any more. I'm surprised to hear from Robert that there is anywhere can be possibly be to hot for sweetgum. They seem to me like they could grow in a oven if they were watered often enough.

-jonathan

Probably it's the lack of dormant period that hurts them here.
For some reason they have trouble even in the ground where I live. Have to get about 30 miles north and inland to start seeing them in the ground
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:08 pm

It's good to see people working with the native sweetgum! Hopefully no one minds if I "piggy-back" on this thread. I've got a young plant that I've been growing out for a few years to establish the lower trunk...now it needs to be chopped down. The lower trunk is between 1.5 and 2". Has anyone done a major chop on sweetgum? I'm wondering if this species is prone to significant "bleeding", like maples. I've read that several places but would like to hear of any direct experience if possible. Best to chop in early spring, or after the first flush of growth?

Love the autumn color on these. Here's a couple of photos of the plant in full color for your enjoyment. I'm looking forward to this long-term project.

Chris

Slim Pair (Liquidambar) Sweetg10

Slim Pair (Liquidambar) Sweetg11

P.S. Jim, sorry to hear your tree didn't make it!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan e Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:43 pm

coh wrote:It's good to see people working with the native sweetgum! Hopefully no one minds if I "piggy-back" on this thread. I've got a young plant that I've been growing out for a few years to establish the lower trunk...now it needs to be chopped down. The lower trunk is between 1.5 and 2". Has anyone done a major chop on sweetgum? I'm wondering if this species is prone to significant "bleeding", like maples. I've read that several places but would like to hear of any direct experience if possible. Best to chop in early spring, or after the first flush of growth?

You can chop as much as you want, anytime after leaf fall, as long as the tree is healthy. Best to leave a stub a node or two higher than you think you want it, and select buds for future branches/trunk sections after the first buds emerge.

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:23 pm

So it sounds like you wouldn't be concerned about bleeding? That's good to know. I've got the chop location planned, a bit above a branch that will most likely serve as the next trunk segment. Well, that depends on what I get after the chop...from what I've read, these trees are very vigorous and will throw many new shoots.

How is your tree coming along? Any updates?

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down