Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Liquidambar cave

5 posters

Go down

Liquidambar cave Empty Liquidambar cave

Post  jonathan e Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:23 pm

This began as a 20 foot tree dug from the landscape. All of the above ground parts have been removed, and the current interesting trunk was part of the root structure below ground. The trunk and branches are all formed from suckers off of the root mass. At some point, i split the tree in two. The other half is coming along as well, and some time i may plant the two together as a small grouping. The sides of the resulting hollow sealed over, forming an intriguing cave from the main front view.The branching is coming along, although it is still too coarse and simple. Getting Liquidambar to be anything but coarse is a bit of a challenge. It is 19 inches high, currently.
Liquidambar cave Img_5510
rear view
Liquidambar cave Img_5511
other half:
Liquidambar cave Img_5410

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Liquidambar cave Empty Re: Liquidambar cave

Post  Zach Smith Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:58 pm

jonathan e wrote:This began as a 20 foot tree dug from the landscape. All of the above ground parts have been removed, and the current interesting trunk was part of the root structure below ground. The trunk and branches are all formed from suckers off of the root mass. At some point, i split the tree in two. The other half is coming along as well, and some time i may plant the two together as a small grouping. The sides of the resulting hollow sealed over, forming an intriguing cave from the main front view.The branching is coming along, although it is still too coarse and simple. Getting Liquidambar to be anything but coarse is a bit of a challenge. It is 19 inches high, currently.
Awesome material, Jonathan! My only comment is I'd remove that short straight section poking up on the lower left branch.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Liquidambar cave Empty sim of zach's suggetstion

Post  jonathan e Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Zach,
That might work. Will take it into considerationLiquidambar cave Img_5514

it also might make it look too bonsai-like. worth considering, tho...

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:41 am

I LOVE it! Sweetgum are tough trees to bonsai and you have done a great job -- one of the best I've seen.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  jersanct Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:42 am

I like this a lot, Jonathan - thanks for sharing it. I love the main hollow.

Also, the rear side of the tree looks very much like an embarrassed, naked man. Or is it just me?
jersanct
jersanct

Back to top Go down

Post  海上闻樵 Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:41 am

This is another tree, the tree is another aspect? I like this way, both attitude and shape are good.

Liquidambar cave Img_5411
海上闻樵
海上闻樵

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan e Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:47 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions or virtuals for the second tree, or for combining the two?

thanks,
-jonathan

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  海上闻樵 Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:36 am

cheers
Liquidambar cave Img_5410
海上闻樵
海上闻樵

Back to top Go down