From sapling to bonsai... how?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

From sapling to bonsai... how?

Post  Toast on Sat May 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Hi all,

I recently acquired a silver birch sapling and was wondering what would be the best way to grow it for bonsai? Its about 2-3 inches high at the moment in a 5 inch pot. i thought i should just let it grow for now but im not sure what to do when it gets to a good size?

thanks Smile

Toast

Back to top Go down

Re: From sapling to bonsai... how?

Post  JimLewis on Sat May 09, 2009 8:39 pm

You have the right thought. Let it grow. When -- in 3-5 years -- it has a trunk diameter of at least 1 inch (2 is better), show us a picture and ask again.

BUT if you want it to grow appreciably, you will need to either plant it in the ground or into a much bigger pot or grow box.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Toast on Sat May 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Ah ok, ill be heading out for a much larger pot tomorrow then Rolling Eyes

Thanks Jim
Smile

Toast

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun May 10, 2009 12:22 am

Something that is quite shallow will be better than a deep pot. You don't want your roots to grow down -- you want them to spread. Azalea pots are a possibility. Dunno what you'd call them in England.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:06 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum