Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression

+45
AdamJonas
magoca
Bonzi
Nigel Parke
Neli
Nemphis
amazonida
leatherback
Speakergod
BonsaiJim
blackrose
dorothy7774
bingregory
davidlpf
bucknbonsai
rock
Gary Swiech
marcus watts
coh
Lnatural
John Quinn
Jesse
guy ward
pongsatorn.k
Seth Ellwood
Ryan
snobird
Mike Jones
rexman
ogi uyehara
ogie
GerhardGerber
mokster
slowly but surely
Pavel Slovák
Albert Ward
Russell Coker
hirow08
Mr. Moody
moyogijohn
littleart-fx
Jim McIntyre
fiona
Ian Young
Storm
49 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 2 Empty Re: Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression

Post  slowly but surely Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:31 am

Wow. Really nice progression series. As a newbie, I really appreciate the opportunity to see development like this. Thanks for the effort!
slowly but surely
slowly but surely

Back to top Go down

Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression - Page 2 Empty Re: Ulmus Parvifolia 5 years progression

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:10 am

Hi Sankofabonsai

Loved to see all the photos, a very good job.

The low left branch is a bit low, but without, the tree loose ballance. I dont think it is enough to grow the next left branch bigger. It still have a ballance-problem.
I would cut off the right branch too, and make a new airlayering, further up the trunk.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  mokster Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:44 am

Excellent stuff! I was having trouble figuring out how to rootwork one of my trees and you cleared it right up with this progression series.

Bravo! thumbs up

mokster

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:51 am

Thanks ever so much, just what I needed to see!
Great work and excellent progression.

Cheers
Gerhard

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 am

Hi Sankofabonsai,

Great tree there's more potential to come,is the back portion worth making it as a front for you?just a thought.. Question Hope things are well with you.Thanks for sharing

Your friend,
Alex/Ogie Very Happy
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  ogi uyehara Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:57 am

well done
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ogi uyehara
ogi uyehara

Back to top Go down

Post  rexman Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:58 pm

really no need for words, the pictures speak for themselves on this 5-year journey. excellent documentation and of course the progression.

if it were me, i'll keep the first left branch...
rexman
rexman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:49 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi Sankofabonsai

Your reply is very good. I thought you allready had cut off the first branch, and it was too late. Your tree will look a lot like the japanese tree in the future, this is good.
Your small trees are also very nice.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:14 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:05 pm

Me too Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:43 pm

I really enjoyed this and the quality of pictures too was great.

Mike thumbs up
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 pm

My only critisism and I would keep the branch on the left, is the general branch placement. It is styled like a Pine with the branches on a horizontal plane. Compare it to the Japanese Elm which has a more vertical habit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Moody Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:37 pm

Sankofabonsai wrote:... bonsai design is matter of likes...

Thanks!

Thats what I like about it as well.
Mr. Moody
Mr. Moody

Back to top Go down

Post  snobird Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:08 am

Congratulations with this wonderful progression. I also like low spreading trees and agree with you that this tree has still a way to go to fulfill your vision. For this moment now the first branch on the right of the trunk on the picture is definitely the sashi-eda and the lowest branch the uke-eda so I will reduce that one because the eye is drawn in two directions. I think this will harmonize the whole. Maybe you have this plan but you're keeping the branch as is for the moment to maximize your nebari development?
As on the very first photos when you started working on the tree you can see that these are two trees fused together so I shall not remove that branch completely myself.

snobird

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 am

The BEST progression series I've ever seen. Amazing.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:55 am

Thankyou for sharing .It goes to show you can take mediocre material and through a little planning turn it in to somthing wonderful good work !!!!!!!

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  pongsatorn.k Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Great progress!!! Very Happy
pongsatorn.k
pongsatorn.k

Back to top Go down

Post  guy ward Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Excellent --keep the lower left branch-----what happened to the offcut stump

guy ward

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:37 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:37 pm

No need for me to chime in really....but I wanted to say thanks. It takes a lot of time to put a progression series like that together but wow....such a great thread and learning opportunity for many of us. I liked the originally tree but I love the current form...thanks again!
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  snobird Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Thank you Sankofabonsai! Very,very interesting about the photos and I like the second tree as well. No need for apologizing for any disagreement because if we discuss the tree the IBC members learn as you mentioned. Especially as you mentioned your vision for the tree and why you are doing development now first and then refining. Congratulations again and thanks for all the photos.

snobird

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:43 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next