Trying something new

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trying something new

Post  Lnatural on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:45 pm

I'm starting some Acacia Tortilis seeds and I really want to get an understanding of how to treat the species. I've heard they can tolerate very low temperatures and dry conditions. I just need to know if I should treat it like an indoor tree, and what a good soil medium would be. I'm really excited about getting these started so any advice would be great!

Thanks, Lawrence

Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Re: Trying something new

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:37 am

Hi Lawrence,

I got an acacia tree in training. It's a fast grower here in the tropics. It back buds easily too after hard pruning. Mine is place in a full sun location.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Trying Something New

Post  bonsaisr on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:43 am

Wow, what an interesting tree. Wish I could grow it. I have not had any success growing acacias as indoor bonsai in the North. Probably didn't keep them dry enough. What are you going to use as a supplementary light source next winter?
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Lnatural on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:16 am

Well I'm kind of treating this as an experiment just to give a new species a try. What sort soil mixture are you using Jun? Do you let it get a little dry before watering? I was planning on using a very sandy soil mixture, with some organic material in there.

Thanks, Lawrence

Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:38 am

Lnatural wrote: Well I'm kind of treating this as an experiment just to give a new species a try. What sort soil mixture are you using Jun? Do you let it get a little dry before watering? I was planning on using a very sandy soil mixture, with some organic material in there.

Thanks, Lawrence

...very rough aggregates 1/4 from the pot bottom 3/4 unsifted river sand on top no decaying mixture (it will rot easily in our climate). I can water 2 to 3 times a day with this high draining medium. It's hot and humid here, water vaporized easily even under the soil that's why I must water more often to sustain the tree's water needs, but it must not hold for a long period of time, Acacia hates wet feet.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lnatural on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Thank you so much Jun that's great info, just what I need to know!

Lawrence

Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Post  lennard on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:31 pm

Lnatural wrote: I'm starting some Acacia Tortilis seeds and I really want to get an understanding of how to treat the species. I've heard they can tolerate very low temperatures and dry conditions. I just need to know if I should treat it like an indoor tree, and what a good soil medium would be. I'm really excited about getting these started so any advice would be great!

Thanks, Lawrence

http://oyama.co.za/index.php/resources/42-tree-species/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:acacia-the-king-of-the-trees&catid=42:tree-species&Itemid=85

Just scroll down for the article.

Lennard

lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  Lnatural on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:22 pm

Lennard that's fantastic! Thank you very much!

Lawrence

Lnatural

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:08 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum