New potter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New potter

Post  crazybonsaiguy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:10 pm

I am just getting started with bonsai pottery (I've had four "batches" come out of the kiln) and wanted to share what I've done so far. I am an artist (oil painter) by training, but fell in love with bonsai about seven years ago now, and have just taken up ceramics over the past year. I rarely have any time for it, plus I'm slow at it- thus only four batches. I would appreciate any comments or criticism any of you are willing to share with me.

Thanks,

Steve

This is my first porcelain one. I carved it from a block. It has some flaws in the glaze, so I am showing you the good side.

[/ url]
A small shohin pot.

[url=https://servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=12&u=16338410]

Second porcelain pot- featuring my attempt at a foo dog.

Going into the kiln, I assumed this one would come out a total piece of junk, but the fire did a trick and I have actually grown fond of it.

Trying out some decorative rivets.

Couldn't get the camera to capture this one. It is a dragon in the water. I put the clear celadon glaze on too thick and it caused a kind of frosty version of the under painting.

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited by crazybonsaiguy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:32 pm; edited 7 times in total

crazybonsaiguy

Back to top Go down

Re: New potter

Post  Russell Coker on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:51 pm

I think they're really nice, especially the first and last. That first pot, how bad is the bad side? I want it - er, um, I mean how big is it?

Russell

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:58 pm

You got great skill there,keep them coming,they are all great

Alex

ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  crazybonsaiguy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:07 pm

Thanks for the kind replies! I'm not ready to begin selling because I am still too new to it all, and these represent my first attempts. I think if I parted with them, I would miss them later in life. This, plus I had my firstborn recently, and from the looks of things, I may only be able to make a handful a year for the next decade or so.

Very Happy

crazybonsaiguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:39 pm

Astonishingly good "first attempts"! If that is how you are starting out, you are well on the path to a career in bonsai pottery. Keep watching and sharing with the other potters on this forum please.

Happy to see you posting here.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:33 am

Hi Steve,
these are absolutely beautiful pots

Best wishes
Peter

peter krebs

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:39 am

Steve,
That last porcelain pot is amazing. I can't stop looking at it. Keep up the great work.

Todd

DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi Steve

Really cool work,you're off to a great start, epecially the porcelain pots !!!!!!!!!!! Smile

Cheers

Vic

Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:47 pm

Yah really bad stuff Steve! We all wish we could start that good. The photos dont do these justice.
You even got Peter's attention. You missed a good meeting.
Rob

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Steve, nice artistic pots. Keep up the good works.

Cheers.

CJ
http://newzealandteatreebonsai.blogspot.com/

newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  crazybonsaiguy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone. I will try to post whenever I get anything good out of the kiln.

crazybonsaiguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Benda on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:02 pm

I love Your porcelain pots!

Tom Benda

Back to top Go down

new potter

Post  Bob Bailey on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 pm

You have a wonderful talent,the porcelain pots are truely beautiful, thankyou for sharung with us
Bob

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Seriously nice pots Steve!

Having been (in the past) closely involved in the tattoo world, and being heavily influenced by the Japanese style, I find your painted pots especially attractive. The Foo dog with Cherry blossom is beautiful, and the dragon bowl is to die for! If you're not happy with it, I can offer it a very good home. Seriously.

Take care and keep 'em coming!

Steve

PS Explore the Cherry/Plum/Apricot blossom motif more.

Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:30 am

Your dragon pot is absolutely amazing! I love it.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:01 am

These are nicely artistic, Steve. The strongly recessed location of some pots' feet reduces stability but contributes to perceived lightness & elevation.

Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:28 am

Steve, your pots are beautiful. I looked at your first pot photo and thought "no, he couldn't have done this one, this must be the wrong picture of a collector's pot ..." But then I realized that it was your pot. I like the way your nail heads look. The dragon pot is looks good in the "celadon mist". You were certainly born to make pots!
Best,
Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:10 am

I agree with everyone these are great. I really hope you find some more time for these i think you are on to somthing these would sell like hot cakes.

Neil

Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:32 am

Very nice pots indeed! I think you have done a great job with the painted blue pots especially. This technique requires a lot of time, but the results are definitely worth it, IMHO.

So what are the temp/cone and atmosphere you are firing to?

Thanks for sharing!

Rob

Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  crazybonsaiguy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:12 am

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, everyone. I really appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by crazybonsaiguy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

crazybonsaiguy

Back to top Go down

Post  crazybonsaiguy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks, Rob. I should have included that in the original post- all the pot are fired at cone 10 in a reduction atmosphere.

crazybonsaiguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum