Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai

2 posters

Go down

Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Empty Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai

Post  brycebertola Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 am

After negotiating for a place to grow some trees, I finally got some space and started what will be my first field grown bonsai. It's still a little cold but I wanted to plant it early and let the tree develop over the next year or more before I start to reduce it.

I went out saturday morning and toured some of the local nursery for some good japanese maple prospects and came across a few great examples. I ended up selecting this tree as it had the most potential with a great nebari already, and the first branch up the trunk is in great position to take over as a new leader when I reduce the tree later.

I'll allow the tree to grow out for a few years, and I'll air layer the upper sections before reduction.

Picture 1: The potted tree awaiting it's new home. Packet of seed for scale.
Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Before10

Picture 2: The lower trunk area showing the nebari and first branch. This area will serve as the basis for the final bonsai in a few years.
Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Before11

Picture 3: Another angle of the nebari - this one screams bonsai!
Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Before12

Picture 4: Planted in the ground, ready to grow.
Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Post-p10

Picture 5: Another angle after planting
Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Post-p11

Picture 6: The eventual goal. The trunk will be reduced to the red line, and the future growth is shown in green. (just a guess)
Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Trunk-10

brycebertola

Back to top Go down

Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Empty Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai

Post  Guest Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:42 am

Hello there. This tree looks diseased to me. It has a crack in the bark at the base and looks like phytophthora. You may find black marks on the trunk and branches, and areas of dieback.

Back to top Go down

Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Empty My First Field Grown Bonsai

Post  bonsaisr Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 am

Sorry for the disappointment. I saw the crack too. Have you checked as to whether Japanese maples actually grow well in your area? Take the tree back, get a refund, and try a different nursery. It might be better if you wait and purchase a tree after they just start leafing out.
Maples are susceptible to something called southwest crack if they receive sun on the trunk in the winter. A crack in a young tree could introduce germs. The crack could also be caused by rot under the bark. Either way, you don't want it.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Empty Re: Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai

Post  brycebertola Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:26 am

An update: I had my sister-in-law look at the tree (she has a degree in horticulture) and we took it back to the nursery. They had a few other bloodgood and fireglow varieties, and we found a nice looking fireglow variety that should work even better.

brycebertola

Back to top Go down

Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai Empty Re: Japanese Maple "Bloodgood" - my first field grown bonsai

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down