Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lenz J. virginiana Restyle

+4
Ravi Kiran
Michael T
Todd Ellis
AndyRutledge
8 posters

Go down

Lenz J. virginiana Restyle Empty Lenz J. virginiana Restyle

Post  AndyRutledge Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:08 am

This is a J. virginiana that I got from my teacher, Nick Lenz last year. It was collected from the Sunderland cliffs in 1995. I was dissatisfied with the branch structure (no back branches) and the boring trunk line, but I really like the interplay of the live veins and the deadwood. Given the dramatic base, it seemed to be suited to a cascade form, so that's where I took it.

Lenz J. virginiana Restyle Jvirg_restyle1

Lenz J. virginiana Restyle Jvirg_restyle2

Lenz J. virginiana Restyle Jvirg_restyle3

I have only directed the main branches as yet (not the fine shoots) so it is still a bit rough-looking. It will be repotted into the cascade pot this weekend. It has a long way to go and future growth will correct the proportions, but I believe I have a viable line for the future of this tree. I wonder what Nick will think (gulp).

Kind regards,
Andy

Last edited by AndyRutledge on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Lenz J. virginiana Restyle Empty Re: Lenz J. virginiana Restyle

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:52 am

I hope the nebari is kind to your vision for a cascade style. I like the thick trunked tree, in the shallow light colored pot, on the back bench in the first picture. Is it an elm?
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael T Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:24 am

It's a juniperus virginiana or virginia juniper or eastern red cedar.

And a nice one at that which is rare.

Please post updates. These grow all over the place where I leave, but I've usually been discouraged from collecting them because of their well known foliage issues.

I've only seen one other decent example.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:06 am

Excellent transformation Andy. The tree before transformation was just about below par but this transformation has taken it quiet a few notches above par. Great work. Do post images once you are done with wiring the rest of the branches and also repotted the tree. Shall look forward to the same.

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisA Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Below par? Slightly above par? I think the tree was great and still is. Definetly well above par. I especially like the deadwood apex on the restyle. Considering the high murder rate of Nick trees, I think Nick would approve as long as it lives on.
ChrisA
ChrisA

Back to top Go down

Lenz J. virginiana Restyle Empty Gwaft

Post  crust Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Mighty Lenz probably had evil schemes of Shimpakian Gwafting but didnt want to paddle up that 15 yr. stream. It would be exquiste if you did though.

crust

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyRutledge Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:53 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:I hope the nebari is kind to your vision for a cascade style. I like the thick trunked tree, in the shallow light colored pot, on the back bench in the first picture. Is it an elm?

Thanks Todd. Yes, the tree in the background is a U. parvifolia that I'm remaking. Here's the same tree featured earlier this year:
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t5197-starting-over-with-a-mature-broom-elm

Kind regards,
Andy
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyRutledge Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:58 pm

crust wrote:Mighty Lenz probably had evil schemes of Shimpakian Gwafting but didnt want to paddle up that 15 yr. stream. It would be exquiste if you did though.

Mmm, that's a good thought. I've got lots of Itoigawa and Kiishu growing in various pots that are just begging to be placed onto a mature trunk. I will certainly think on that.

Kind regards,
Andy
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Post  Przemek Radomyski Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 pm

Nice progress, and wonder tree ! Take care about him king

Przemek Radomyski

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyRutledge Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:53 pm

Here's the repotted J. virginiana

I have opted to leave the shoots largely untouched so that the tree can recover from the drastic work done thus far. I'll style the shoots in the coming winter as they demonstrate vigor this year.

Lenz J. virginiana Restyle Jvirg_done_mar2011
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:01 am

Well I personally think that the transformation has worked very well. Can I take it you had to bury and/or chop a fair bit of the long section of nebari to get it that far down into the pot?

Nice work.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyRutledge Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks Fiona. There was actually no drastic work required to fit it into the pot. There was, of course, the requisite chopstick-prop system required to support the specific angle in order to hold position, but it was surprisingly easy to repot. I worry only about 1) the health of the plant due to the reduction in foliage (my experience w/virginiana tells me to not worry at all), and 2) my teacher's reaction at the drastic realignment of the tree's future.

I've sent Nick a photo today. I await his evaluation. I wait on pins and needles. :-/
AndyRutledge
AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:19 am

IMHO ... seeing it repotted into its new home ... you made the right choice!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down